Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Animal Grooming
- Animal Training
- Equine Studies
Online Courses in Animal Training
Below are some of the commonly offered training courses that students can take online.
- Puppy Training Course: This course is designed for puppies at least eight weeks old. Students use motivational methods of training to encourage the puppy to understand voice and body language. Focus of this course is helping the student teach the puppy the basic commands of sit, come, down, heel and stay.
- First Aid for Pets Course:This course teaches a pet owner to handle almost any emergency involving their pet. Students learn numerous techniques that can save the pet's life, including rescue breathing, pet CPR, choking management, bleeding control and more. Emphasis is also placed on methods of preventing accidents with pets.
- Basic Dog Obedience Course:Hands-on training and interaction between dog and owner is introduced in this course. Students learn effective ways of teaching their dogs the meaning of sit, down, stay, come and heel. In addition to the basic obedience commands, students teach their dogs basic tricks and good behavior at the veterinarian's office.
- Working with Rats & Mice Course:Students in this course learn the correct handling procedures when working with rats and mice for research purposes. The goal of this course is to demonstrate simple and humane methods of performing required procedures, such as collecting blood, making injections, administering anesthesia or simply calming down a nervous animal.
- Pet Home Safety Course: This course teaches students how to correctly enter a pet's home, with regard to the safety of the trainer. Topics such as body language, dealing with aggression and deescalating potentially dangerous encounters are discussed.
- Social Behavior and Communication Course: This course will teach students the basics of communicating with a dog. How to evaluate a dog's personality and its relationship to others as a pack animal will also be examined.
- Assistance Dogs Course: In this course, students will learn about different types of dogs such as hearing and guide dogs. Topics include the use of dogs in various medical emergencies and some of the legal considerations for that potential service.
Although animal training requires a hands-on approach, students can learn to train and care for animals by watching videos and lectures online through self-enrichment courses or by taking training courses as part of online certificate programs. While dog and puppy owners are those most commonly interested in this subject for personal interest, individuals working with animals in teaching and research frequently enroll in online animal training courses to obtain a certificate. The requirements for online animal training courses vary, and some programs require internships to be completed in-person. Graduate certificates and master's degrees are also available.
Online animal training courses are available through online certificate and graduate certificate programs in addition to master's degrees. Coursework includes the study of pet home safety, assistance dogs and how to train a puppy.