Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Architectural Engineering Technology
Online Courses in Architectural Engineering
Below are some of the architectural engineering courses that can be taken online.
- HVAC Systems Design Course: This course examines the engineering principles and designs of heating, ventilating and air conditioning systems. Students learn about the various aspects of HVAC systems, including thermodynamics, heat transfer, infiltration, load calculation and air distribution. The course also surveys various energy conservation techniques used in duct design and layout and equipment selection.
- Building Energy Conservation Technologies Course: Students learn how to design buildings that minimize energy consumption. This course discusses the use of solar heaters, heat pumps, storage systems and daylight for energy-efficiency. It also covers the strategies and control systems used to achieve these efficiency goals.
- Building Enclosure Design Course: This online architectural course takes climate into account when designing the exterior of buildings. Students explore topics such as building movement, moisture penetration and heat flow. Design projects and case studies are used to explain building codes and promote problem-solving techniques. The effects of temperature, sun, rain, snow, wind and humidity are discussed.
- Plumbing and Fire Protection Design Course: This online course reviews the incorporation of fire protection and plumbing in building design. Students discuss ventilation, water supply and plumbing systems. They review the various systems used in fire protection, including gravity and pressure vessels, sprinklers, pumps and pipes.
- Steel Design Course: Students learn how to use steel beam columns, plate girders and beams in structure design. They discuss the differences between welded and bolted connections. The course also covers the techniques used to frame a steel building.
- Sustainability and the Built Environment Course: This online course discusses the basic concepts of sustainable development in architectural engineering. It covers the integration of natural systems within various infrastructures. Students are asked to create designs that are compatible with the environment. They learn to employ a range of methods to identify, create and troubleshoot sustainable design problems.
- Contemporary Architecture Course: This course will cover specific buildings and the work of particular architects. Students will also examine architectural movements that have shaped the industry.
- Introduction to the History and Theory of Architecture Course: Students will address architecture all across the globe. Design principles will be analyzed in addition to how architecture has influenced societies from prehistoric times up to the 1500s.
Architectural engineering focuses on the planning, design and construction of buildings with emphasis on both the building's external infrastructure and its internal systems, including heating and air conditioning systems. Fully online architectural engineering programs aren't common, though some schools offer a partially online curriculum at both undergrad and graduate levels. Online courses typically review the various aspects of infrastructure design, including fire protection systems, heating and cooling systems, plumbing and energy efficiency.
Architectural engineering technology programs are generally offered at the associate and bachelor's degree levels and prepare students for engineering support jobs, such as drafter, building inspector, or CAD operator. Students can pursue bachelor's or master's degrees in architectural engineering. These degrees qualify graduates to test for and become licensed professional engineers. Free online courses are also available to students, though they don't typically award credit.
Plenty of options exist for online architectural engineering classes. You can take these courses through bachelor's or master's degrees, or in a standalone non-credit format. Some topics include the history of architecture, steel design and sustainability.