Online Courses in AutoCAD
The following descriptions are for some common AutoCAD courses that are available online.
- Introductory AutoCAD Course: These courses offer sketch and design training via AutoCAD. Essential AutoCAD functions are covered, including setting up and editing drawings, dimensioning, plotting and layering.
- Advanced AutoCAD Course: This class expands on basic AutoCAD functions and introduces solid modeling topics, parametric design and parametric rendering. Students explore ways to customize AutoCAD software products to support independent and special-needs projects.
- Programming for AutoCAD Course: Students use Visual Basic to generate and assemble AutoCAD databases. Course content includes fundamental functions of ActiveX Data Objects, which students use to link desktop databases to AutoCAD.
- AutoCAD and Interior Design Course: Classes present the functions of AutoCAD that are often used by students of interior design. Participants learn to plot floor, lighting and electrical plans, to produce drawings with unconventional angles and to generate drawing plots that feature multiple scales. Content includes layering, dimensioning, blocks and display commands.
- Print Reading for CAD Design Course: This course is a foundation for further CAD learning. Students acquire the basic skills needed to read blueprints, engineering and technical drawings.
- Geometric Construction Course: In this course, students will learn about drawing perpendicular and parallel lines. Other topics include ellipses, polygons and the creation of bisectors.
- Civil Drafting Course: This course will help students to enhance their skills associated with roadway layout drawings. Students will also practice drawing plans from land surveys.
Online classes are offered as part of diploma and certificate programs in AutoCAD technology and may be focused on a particular field, such as architecture, interior design, mechanical and civil engineering or construction. Coursework in AutoCAD software trains users to create technically complex 2- and 3-dimensional drawings via computer-aided drafting (CAD) techniques. Students will need AutoCAD software, though most schools provide it. Courses may be offered through independent study or on a specific timeline that focuses on interaction among students and instructors.
Online AutoCAD drafting classes are available via standalone courses, and diploma and certificate programs. Students will study print reading, geometric construction and civil drafting, among other topics.