Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Aeronautical and Astronautical Engineering
- Biological and Agricultural Engineering
- Biomedical and Medical Engineering
- Ceramic Sciences
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Drafting and Design Engineering
- Electrical Engineering and Electronics
- Engineering - Architectural
- Engineering Mechanics
- Engineering Physics
- Environmental Engineering
- Forest Engineering
- Geological Engineering
- Industrial Engineering
- Manufacturing Engineering
- Materials Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Metallurgical Engineering
- Mining Engineering
- Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering
- Nuclear Engineering
- Ocean Engineering
- Petroleum Engineering
- Plastics Engineering
- Systems Engineering
- Textile Technologies
Online Courses for Biomedical Equipment Technicians
The following descriptions are for some commonly offered online biomedical equipment technician courses.
- Fundamentals of Biomedical Equipment Course: This course introduces the operation and repair of bedside medical devices, such as ventilators, defibrillators, pacemakers and physiological monitors, for both neonate and adult assessment. Topics covered include patient and equipment safety, quality assurance and equipment troubleshooting.
- Medical Imagining and Complex Biomedical Equipment Course: Biomedical equipment technicians maintain a variety of medical systems. This class emphasizes the operation of radiography, MRI and fluoroscopy systems; CT scanners; ultrasound equipment; and medical lasers. Course content includes relevant therapies and medical procedures, systems maintenance, patient safety and device applications.
- Human Biology for the Biomedical Equipment Technician Course: Medical terminology and biological concepts necessary for accurate communication within a medical setting form the core of this course. Students are familiarized with essential aspects of anatomy, physiology and biology.
- Special Biomedical Equipment Course: Medical care for certain patient populations requires the use of specialized biomedical equipment. This class focuses on the function and care of equipment used for cardiac intensive care patients, neonates and surgical patients.
- Codes, Regulations and Patient Safety Course: In this course, students examine the codes and standards of regulatory agencies such as the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA). Students learn from example by studying case studies, and they learn how to handle different types of human health hazards.
- Advanced Medical Equipment Systems Course: In this course, students learn about the functions of advanced technological systems used in clinical settings, including imaging systems (x-ray machines, CT scanners, MRI machines and ultrasound equipment), surgical equipment and physical therapy tools. Maintenance and troubleshooting methods are also covered.
- Health Technology Management Course: This course covers the convergence of medical technologies, including medical devices, information technology and medical communications. Students learn about the management practices for these technologies, as well as providing technical service.
Biomedical equipment technicians operate and repair simple and complex electronic, hydraulic and electromechanical systems for healthcare facilities and medical equipment supply companies. Online classes are offered within certificate programs for biomedical equipment technicians and associate's degree programs in biomedical equipment technology. Students may become qualified to sit for the Certified Biomedical Equipment Technician (CBET) exam upon completion of an associate's degree program and at least two years of biomedical equipment technician work experience.
Online courses in biomedical medical equipment are offered at the certificate and associate's degree level. In addition to learning to operate and maintain medical equipment, students learn about human biology and patient safety.