Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Athletic Trainer
- Cardiovascular Technologies
- Electrocardiograph Tech. - ECG, EKG
- Electroencephalographic Tech. - EEG, END
- EMT and Paramedic
- Genetic Therapy
- Industrial Radiologic Technology
- Medical Radiologic Therapist
- Nuclear Medical Technologist
- Physician Assistant
- Radiation Protection Technology
- Radiological Science and Technologies
- Respiratory Care Therapy
- Surgical Technologies
- Ultrasound and Sonography Technologies
Online Courses in CAT Scan Technology
Below are some of the courses that are offered in a CAT scan or radiologic technology program, though not all courses are offered fully online.
- Introduction and Instrumentation Course: In this course, students are given a background into the history, terminology and key concepts in computed tomography. Students also learn legal and ethical concerns and regulations applicable to medical professionals. CT machinery and instrumentation are introduced.
- Sectional Anatomy Course: This course is designed to familiarize students with cross sectional anatomical imaging used by CT scan technologists to recognize pathologies within the human body. Students learn to recognize and evaluate various types of images.
- CT Imaging Procedures Course: Scanning techniques with adherence to various criteria and protocols are studied in this course. All regions of the human body are studied in this course. Some classes require students to present a research paper at the end of the course.
- CT Pathology Course: In this course, a wide variety of diseases and disorders that are visible while performing CT scans are examined. Students learn how to recognize clinical manifestations and abnormal appearances of pathologies within the human body through case studies.
- CT Image Appearance Course: Students taking this course learn how to manage and manipulate the visual appearance of the images produced by a CT machine, such as enhancing the contrast or increasing detail. The course also teaches students how to identify irregularities that frequently appear in CT scans and how to remedy them.
- Legal Aspects of Healthcare Administration Course: This course teaches students how the law and legal process applies to healthcare. Topics of discussion include legal accountability, healthcare law and confidentiality.
- Medical Terminology Course: Those enrolled in this class will learn the vocabulary associated with healthcare services. After completion, students will become familiar with the terms for the major body systems and structures.
Computed Axial Tomography (CT or CAT) scan technologist training courses are available as part of associate's and bachelor's degree and certificate programs in radiologic science or technology. Due to the practical nature of operating complex machinery and working directly with patients and doctors, online radiologic sciences programs require students to complete some of the requirements in person, including a clinical training component.
Some states require candidates to receive national certification or licensure in radiographic technology or computed tomography. National certification is awarded through the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT), which requires a minimum of an associate's degree from an accredited program in order to sit for the exam. The AART certification is often prerequisite to entrance into CAT certificate programs or more advanced bachelor's programs.
Online CAT scan technology courses are available online, generally as part of an associate's or bachelor's degree program in radiologic science. These courses tend to be hybrid programs, meaning that there will be an in-person element involved. Those enrolled will learn about topics that include CT image appearance, imaging procedures and sectional anatomy.