Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Baking and Pastry Arts
- Catering and Restaurant Management
- Chef Training
- Food Preparation
- Food Server and Dining Room Mgmt
- Institutional Food Worker
- Meat Cutting
Online Classes in Cake Decorating
The following is a sample of commonly offered online cake decorating courses.
- Cake Decorating Basics Class: This introductory class starts with baking cakes and cupcakes that take decoration well. The course also covers leveling, filling and sealing cakes to prepare for tidy decoration, as well as basic techniques for holding and using piping bags.
- Buttercream, Fondant and Royal Icing Techniques Class: This class covers types of icing for cake decorating and the situations that call for buttercream, fondant or royal icing. Recipes, preparation and basic techniques for each icing are discussed with step-by-step guides and videos.
- Flowers and Figure Decorations Class: This class covers using buttercream, fondant, gum paste and royal icing to form larger 3-dimensional figures such as flowers, animals and people to decorate cakes. Students learn to top cakes with scenes using piped icing, fondant cutouts and molded figures.
- Wedding and Special Occasion Cakes Class: These advanced lessons incorporate multiple decorating techniques for elaborate multi-tiered wedding cakes. Taken toward the end of a lesson sequence, these classes also cover the planning and designing of creative baked centerpieces for special occasions like baby showers, holidays and children's parties.
- Food Service Sanitation Class: This course covers food safety and prevention of foodborne illness in commercial kitchens and is typically taken early in a baking and pastry arts degree program.
- Cake Stacking and Ganache Course: This course covers the fundamentals of using chocolate ganache and sugar paste, as substitutes for the traditional fondant and buttercream, to cover a multi-layer cake. Students will also learn about stacking cake tiers, using cake cards and dowels to ensure proper placement and adequate support.
- Writing on Cakes Course: This course focuses specifically on using buttercream frosting to write letters on cakes. Students learn about the different decorating bag tips that can be used to create letters, as well as the different techniques used for freehand writing and template-based lettering.
- Candy Filigree Course: In this course, students learn to create edible candy decorations for cakes. Students receive instruction on how to melt candy, and then how to pipe the candy into letters and seasonal shapes before it hardens.
Aspiring professional cake decorators are encouraged to find in-person classes at community colleges, learning centers and university extension offices that may count for college credit in a certificate or associate's degree in baking or pastry arts. However, for the home baking novice, there are a variety of cake decorating fundamentals and techniques that can be learned online. To practice techniques demonstrated in online courses, students will need a set of cake decorating tools, including piping bags, decorating tips and flower nails, along with basic kitchen supplies and ingredients for baking practice cakes and mixing icings.
For individuals who want to improve their cake decorating skills, there are online courses that provide instructions on the ingredients, equipment and techniques used in the field.