Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Athletic Trainer
- Cardiovascular Technologies
- Electrocardiograph Tech. - ECG, EKG
- Electroencephalographic Tech. - EEG, END
- EMT and Paramedic
- Genetic Therapy
- Industrial Radiologic Technology
- Medical Radiologic Therapist
- Nuclear Medical Technologist
- Physician Assistant
- Radiation Protection Technology
- Radiological Science and Technologies
- Respiratory Care Therapy
- Surgical Technologies
- Ultrasound and Sonography Technologies
Online Courses in Cardiology
The following descriptions detail the most common types of online cardiology courses:
- A Nuclear Physics course is fundamental to understanding radiopharmaceuticals, radiation biology, and safety. Various concepts for discussion include atomic and nuclear structure and electromagnetic and particulate radiation.
- In a Radiation Biology and Safety course, students examine the effects of radiation on the human body in this online course. Delayed, chronic symptoms, and the impact of radiation are studied. Radiation safety for both patients and staff in nuclear medicine is stressed, with attention to administrative, biological, and legal aspects.
- Concepts in Interventional Cardiology courses focus on treating heart diseases using catheterization. Heart disease symptoms such as thrombosis and atherogenesis, diagnoses, and current treatments are discussed. Animal studies are used to illustrate treatment methodology and effects.
- Students in an Atrial Fibrillation course focus on diagnosis and treatment for patients with atrial arrhythmias, or irregular heartbeat. Antiarrhythmic drugs and toxicity are discussed. Students also learn non-invasive and invasive management strategies.
- A course on Congestive Heart Failure may contain an interactive case-study-based lesson. Students taking the course learn to recognize the stages of heart failure and identify key diagnostic tests and risk factors for patient mortality.
- An Advances in Cardiology course can be offered as a conference that students can attend online for CME credits. It offers a curriculum covering the latest advances in cardiology care, such as application of recent guideline changes and new therapy introductions. Students also assess new interventional and medical heart failure therapies. Course material is available for self-study prior to conference completion through multimedia and text. Students have the ability to connect with faculty panels and colleagues through online discussions.
- In a Clinical Challenges in Electrocardiography course, students will review the most frequent life-threatening afflictions that can be diagnosed using electrocardiography. Students will also focus on commonly misdiagnosed ailments and how to avoid making these potentially fatal errors in judgment.
- A Nutrition and Cardiovascular Health course provides education in the relationship between nutrition and heart health. Students learn about risk factors for heart disease and how dietary choices can affect cardiac health.
- Through a course in Exercise Physiology, students learn how exercise affects physiological processes, particularly in the cardiovascular and neuromuscular systems. Cardiovascular pathologies that can affect exercise abilities may also be covered.
Cardiology courses may be available fully online. However, because of the hands-on nature of the field, most are offered in a hybrid format that incorporates a lab or clinical component. In addition, various certification exam preparatory courses, such as those for nuclear cardiology certification, are offered online to help students get certification from the American Board of Internal Medicine. Also, conferences presented by reputable medical universities may be available online for CME credit.
Although fully online programs in cardiology are not usually available, there are various cardiovascular system-related courses online that can enable students to expand their cardiology expertise and/or earn educational credits.