Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Cellular and Molecular Biology
- Cellular Biology and Histology
- Embryology and Developmental Biology
Online Courses in Cell Biology
Here are some of the online courses commonly available in cell biology and closely related topics.
- Introduction to Cellular Biology: This introductory course examines the current concepts and theories in the field of cell biology. Topics covered may include genetic control of life, introduction to evolution and metabolism and energetics. In-depth discussions of cellular structure and function as well as integration of concepts using data analysis are also examined.
- Microbiology: In this survey course, students investigate the taxonomy, structure and function of microbes. The course goes on to look at the roles of viruses and bacteria in regards to their relationship to infectious diseases.
- Epidemiology: This course examines epidemiologic methods used in infectious disease investigations. An emphasis is placed on understanding the relationships between the host, the parasite and the environment as they relate to the specific disease causation.
- Pathophysiology: As an advanced course in cell biology, this course describes concepts and theories related to disorders of human physiological processes. Lectures present alteration of different physiological processes leading to disease in the human body. Lectures go on to examine in-depth the process of cell inflammation and cellular proliferation.
- Virology: This advanced course considers topics in molecular biology, genetics, structure, function, classification, ecology and epidemiology of viruses in general, with special focus given to pathogens found exclusively in humans. Course investigates viral roles in evolution.
- Genetics: This course will uncover the mechanisms of heredity in prokaryotes, higher plants and animals by studying the most recent information contained in the scientific literature. Students access lectures and conduct virtual labs in a self-paced format.
- Medical Biochemistry: In this course, students are introduced to the fundamentals of biochemistry, as applied to human health and disease. In addition to completing textbook readings, students acquire the biochemistry knowledge needed to review primary medical literature.
- DNA and Society: This course provides an overview of the role of DNA in biological processes and diseases. From there, students learn about the effects of biotechnology on society, including the health care and agricultural industries.
Undergraduate cell biology classes are generally surveys of a wide array of topics, including introductory cell biology, microbiology and the anatomy of the cell. Graduate-level courses are usually more specific in nature and include courses in epidemiology, the cell cycle and virology. Relevant online programs can lead to a bachelor's degree, master's degree or graduate certificate. Graduates of biology degree programs commonly pursue careers as clinical lab technicians or technologists, microbial biologists, cellular biologists or epidemiologists.
Students who are interested in cell biology can take an online overview course or explore the topic further through a more specialized class.