Online Courses for Aspiring Certified Professional Secretaries
The following online CPS courses are commonly offered at various institutions.
- Office Technology Course: In this course, students learn how to manage the technological aspects of secretarial work. Sample topics of study include systems software and applications, keyboarding skills and systems security. Computer operations and word processing are also covered.
- Office Administration Course: Students learn required administrative duties, including writing composition, record-keeping and research. Grammar rules, proofreading and diction, are discussed to develop proper letter writing skills. Students also learn to take minutes and other notes for business meetings.
- Office Management Course: This course focuses on human resources and relations, office procedures and communications. Students learn customer service skills, phone demeanor and time management skills. Instructors also cover interpersonal office relations management and team-building skills. These classes are often geared toward certification exam preparation.
- Office Finances Course: This course prepares students for the fiscal management responsibilities typically required of an office administrator. Students will learn the fundamentals of bookkeeping, including the standard financial software used in an office setting. Coursework may cover accounts payable and receivable, billing and bank account management.
- Business Communications Course: In this course, aspiring secretaries improve their oral and written communication skills, focusing on the effective use of the English language in business concepts. In addition to speaking and listening strategies, students also practice formatting and proofreading business documents.
- Customer Service Course: This course provides an introduction to customer relations. Students learn how to interact positively with customers in order to make sure that their needs are met, and they will remain loyal to the company or organization, even if a difficult situation is encountered.
Some entry-level secretarial positions require only a high school diploma, but many employers prefer applicants to have administration training. The term Certified Professional Secretary, or Certified Administrative Professional (CAP), refers to a distinction given to advanced administrative workers who have received certification from the International Association of Administrative Professionals by successfully passing the CAP exam.
Some online courses help prepare students for the exam, and these are geared toward professionals looking for advancement possibilities. These courses are offered in standalone format or as a short series, depending on the institution. More comprehensive training courses are also available online as part of career diploma or associate's degree programs in office administration. Job titles for graduates include administrative assistant, office manager, and executive assistant.
Through undergraduate programs in office administration, aspiring professional secretaries can develop the skills they need for career success and prepare for voluntary professional certification exams.