Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Health Care Administration
- Health Information and Records Admin
- Health Information Technology
- Health Management and Clinical Administration
- Health Unit Coordinator
- Health Ward Supervisor
- Medical Administrative Assistant or Secretary
- Medical Claims Examiner
- Medical Facilities Management
- Medical Insurance Billing and Coding
- Medical Insurance Services
- Medical Office Computer Technologies
- Medical Office Management
- Medical Office Specialist
- Medical Receptionist
- Medical Staff Services
- Medical Transcriptionist
Health Unit Coordinator Courses
The following descriptions are for commonly offered online courses relevant to health unit coordinators.
- Medical Terminology Course: Students build their medical word vocabulary in this course by learning Greek and Latin roots, prefixes and suffixes. Medical abbreviations, pronunciations and spelling are also emphasized for body systems and procedures.
- Health Care Computer Software Course: Computer software application skills are developed in these types of course for use in medical settings. Typically, Windows Operating System and Microsoft Office Suite are used for teaching. Technical skills needed in health careers are emphasized with topics like database file management and word processing.
- Health Care Customer Service Course: This course covers interpersonal relations with patients, families, supervisors and co-workers, often targeting the development of communication skills, professionalism and confidentiality. It may also involve activities or exercises to build relational skills.
- Health Unit Coordinator Procedures Course: This course focuses on the health unit coordinator's role as part of an effective health care team at hospitals and medical care facilities. Students learn how to coordinate various job duties such as patient information management and appointment setting.
- Health Unit Coordinator/Clinical Assistant Course: This stand-alone workshop focuses on customer-service skills and patient management. More comprehensive courses like this are usually specifically designed to prepare students for the National Association of Health Unit Coordinators certification exam.
- Health Care Ethics Course: In this course, students learn about ethical considerations in healthcare settings, including patient confidentiality, access to service and medical billing procedures. They also gain an appreciation for professionalism in the industry.
- Health Care Finance Course: This course provides an overview of the financial structures underpinning the healthcare industry. Students build their skills for creating budgets, controlling costs and managing accounts within health care facilities.
Health unit coordinator courses are available online through several technical schools and community colleges and are typically part of career diploma or certificate programs. There are also some schools that offer fully online bachelor's degree programs in healthcare management.
Individuals who want to become health unit coordinators can find many relevant courses online that can help them prepare for administrative jobs in the health care industry.