Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Building Inspection
- Concrete Finishing
- Construction Mgmt, General
- Construction Site Management
- Drywall Installation
- Electrical and Power Transmission Installers
- Electrical Systems Lineworker
- Facilities Management
- Furniture Making
- Home Equipment and Furnishings Installer
- Home Improvement
- House Painting and Wall Paper
- Metal Building Assembly
- Plumbing Technology
- Property Management and Maintenance
- Well Drilling
Common Online Courses in Basic Electricity
Following are descriptions of some online courses in basic electricity and electronics offered by universities and colleges.
- Basic Electronics and Power Systems Theory Course: This course defines professional terms like resistance, voltage, inductance, current, capacitance and load-flow programs. It presents techniques to maintain and properly use tools such as transformers, generators, amplifiers, oscilloscopes and resistors. Safety topics include preventive maintenance programs, emergency response training and first aid.
- Fundamentals of Electronic Circuit Design Course: Students analyze circuits, including single- and 3-phase circuit design, and review operational procedures for transistors and diodes in alternating current (AC) and direct current (DC) systems. They also interpret schematics, postulate feedback stability and install components such as multistage operational amplifiers.
- Microelectronics Course: This course presents essential concepts in quantum mechanics and the electric properties of molecules and atoms. It introduces nanotechnology fundamentals, properties and equipment including carbon nanotubes, microelectronic device circuit design, single-ended and differential linear amplifiers, multivibrators and continuous-time filters.
- Electronics for HVAC Course: Attendees discover the basic principles to operate, maintain and repair heating, ventilation and air conditioning equipment. They learn refrigeration properties. They identify, replace and rewire system control devices such as thermostats, relays, transformers and capacitors. Students also examine schematics, study radiant heating, review sustainable energy procedures, practice safe equipment operation and apply motor theory.
- Fundamental Analog ICs Course: This course is designed to teach students about analog CMSO integrated circuits. Students participate in lectures and research projects to help them expand their knowledge of semiconductor design and simulation.
- DC Circuits Course: This course focuses specifically on the properties of direct current (DC) circuits. Students learn about voltage, current, resistance, Ohm's Law, magnetism, energy and power as they relate to DC circuits.
- AC Circuits Course: In this course, students explore the fundamentals of alternating current (AC) circuits. Students learn about Ohm's Law in the context of AC circuits, as well as subjects such as capacitive reactance, inductive reactance and transformer theory.
Online basic electronics classes can be offered within online associate's degree programs in electronic engineering technology and engineering, as well as certificate programs for HVAC technicians and electronics technicians.
These classes introduce essential theory, practical concepts and terminology. They often lead to more advanced study in equipment repair for commercial and residential properties, instrument calibration, microelectronics, electrical engineering, circuit design and power systems.
Many online classes require specific tools for wiring, measuring current, soldering, testing equipment and installing components. Classes may also expect students to learn standard operating procedures for voltmeters, oscilloscopes and other pieces of equipment. The tools and equipment may be included in the class price, or they may be an additional purchase.
For students who want to learn about the basics of electricity, there are online courses within undergraduate programs where they can study key concepts and technologies in the electronics field.