Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Business Marketing Operations
- Fashion Merchandising
- Hospitality Marketing Operations
- Insurance, General
- Marketing for Apparel and Accessories
- Marketing for Travel and Tourism Operations
- Real Estate Sales, Appraisal, and Finance
- Special Product Marketing
- Tourism Promotion Operations
- Vehicle and Vehicle Parts Marketing
Online Fashion Merchandising Classes
The online fashion courses below are commonly offered as part of degree programs at various levels.
- History of Fashion Course: This online class traces the history of Western fashion from ancient times to the present. Students may also study the history of Western beauty ideals. Recurring trends, such as classic or romantic clothing, are discussed along with such fashion influences as the entertainment industry, politics and literature.
- Visual Merchandising Course: Students are introduced to the techniques involved in visually organizing and setting up merchandise in a retail location. They create their own sample displays using fixtures, mannequins and lighting after learning about eye appeal and consumer buying patterns.
- Fashion Buying Course: This class teaches the basics of the retail buying process, covering sales, inventory planning and profitability. Some courses put an emphasis on international buying, discussing government regulations and ethical considerations.
- Fashion Marketing and Promotion Course: This online class covers the promotional strategies that are specific to the fashion industry. Students learn to target their marketing efforts based on product, audience and price. Coursework may involve the development of a promotional marking campaign that utilizes public relations, personal selling, direct mail or social networking. Some courses focus on the international market, discussing cultural sensitivities and legal issues.
- Merchandising Principles Course: This course teaches the merchandising strategies utilized by fashion buyers. Coursework focuses on planning and budgeting, along with strategies for inventory management and working with vendors at the retail level.
- Sustainability in Fashion Course: In this course, students will learn about what it means to consider decisions with respect to responsible buying from vendors. Topics include 'buying green' and the commercialization of production that is morally beneficial to society.
- Strategic Fashion Management: This course will help students to develop their abilities for designing fashion strategies. Research methods with regard to enhancing opportunities for fashion retailers will be emphasized.
Fashion merchandising students take classes that teach them how to market, promote, buy and manufacture fashion merchandise, including clothing and jewelry. Online fashion merchandising classes are aimed at undergraduate and graduate students pursuing associate's, bachelor's or master's degrees in the field and hoping to work in the fashion industry. Students with fashion merchandising degrees often find work as buyers, boutique owners, visual merchandisers or illustrators.
Classes for fashion merchandising students are available online via associate's, bachelor's and master's degree programs. Various topics of study include fashion buying, marketing and sustainability.