Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Adult Development and Aging
- Child Care Management
- Child Care Services
- Child Development
- Community Organization and Advocacy
- Family and Community Services
- Family Systems
- Human Development and Family Studies
- Social Work
- Youth Services
Online Early Child Care Courses
Some of the most common online college courses for early child care are described below.
- Childhood Peer Conflict Resolution Course: Students who enroll in this course will learn about the positive and negative aspects of children's conflict and what determines why children engage in frequent or infrequent conflict with their peers. The management of these conflicts is also covered, by teaching students age-appropriate conflict resolution skills.
- Emotional and Social Development in Children Course: This course focuses on children's social-emotional development during the preschool years. In addition to providing a general overview of the topic, this course will offer practical tips on how to support children's development in these areas.
- Infant and Toddler Development Course: This course is designed to give child care providers a basic understanding of infant and toddler development from birth to 36 months. Content covered in this course generally includes an overview of the principles of infant and toddler development, an investigation of the five primary domains of development and how to enhance development in all five areas.
- Guidance and Discipline Course: Students who enroll in this course will learn about the strengths and weaknesses of various disciplinary styles. The concept of healthy limits and punishment strategies will also be discussed.
- Health, Safety, and Nutrition for the Young Child Course: This course is designed to help students understand the elements of healthy eating and exercise habits, so as child care providers, they can develop programs that encourage overall health in children.
- Information Literacy Course: This course will teach students about using modern information technologies in an efficient manner. Topics include the reliability of websites and search engines and the use of libraries.
- Working with Children with Special Needs Course: In this course, students will analyze various techniques and methods for working with children that have disabilities. The creation of an inclusive environment in early education and any legal aspects of teaching students with special needs will be covered.
Online college courses for early child care are primarily offered for continuing education purposes or as part of associate's degree programs or certificate programs in early childhood education. These programs and courses are available fully online, though blended options are available as well. Many continuing education courses are part of certification or state-required licensure renewal programs, most commonly the Child Development Associate (CDA). Graduates of online programs in early child care can either continue their established career in the child care field or pursue new careers as child care coordinators, human services assistants or teacher's aides.
Early child care courses are offered online via certificates, associate's and bachelor's degrees. Students will cover topics like special needs students, health and safety and infant and toddler development.