Online Courses in Communication Skills
The descriptions below highlight some commonly offered online communication skills courses.
- Organizational Communication Course: This course surveys internal and external communication strategies as they relate to private and public organizations. Discussions focus on organizational theory, mission statements, marketing and crisis communications. Classes are designed to help students develop leadership, critical-thinking, presentation and writing skills through participation in online simulation assignments, small group projects and fieldwork. Homework, class discussions and exams can be accessed using the school's online portal.
- Professional Business Writing Course: This course focuses on increasing the effectiveness of management-level written communications. Training covers diverse forms of business writing, including formatting reports and letters, preparing presentations, creating proposals and managing projects by using e-mail. Students receive ongoing assessment of their writing skills as they submit samples and participate in group-based critiques of documents.
- Business Presentations Course: Business communication basics are the focus of this course. Topics include verbal and non-verbal communication, cultural diversity barriers and effective listening skills. Students practice their skills by completing assignments in letter and e-mail writing, conducting group online meetings, creating visual reports and performing presentations. Online participation may include discussion groups and meetings held through the Web.
- Public Speaking Course: This course is designed to help students deliver effective oral presentations through the process of developing credible and informative speeches and business presentations. Emphasis is placed on understanding and overcoming stage fright, proper enunciation and voice control, incorporating visual aids and conducting media interviews. Online participation includes delivering audio and visual files via camera, e-mailing assignments and conducting research on the Internet.
- Leadership Communications Course: This course is designed to give students the necessary skills to speak persuasively and motivate employees. Students will learn the keys to effective public speaking through building logical arguments and captivating presentations.
- Media Writing Course: In this course, students will learn about writing styles for audio, documentaries, and television. News and advertising writing will also be covered.
- Political Communication Course: The uses of communication with regard to theories and concepts in the U.S. political system will be analyzed in this course. Special focus will placed on elections, campaigns, political movements and personalities.
Communication skills courses focus on the listening, speaking and writing skills needed to effectively complete personal tasks and achieve organizational goals. They help students hone public speaking and presentation skills, grasp best practices in communications, develop business writing proficiency and improve interpersonal communications skills. Online communication skills courses may be offered through certificate or bachelor's degree programs in several fields of study. Some classes may also be offered independently through continuing or adult education divisions. These courses are suitable for business managers, healthcare administrators and educators, among other professionals.
Many online communication skills courses exist via certificates and bachelor's degree programs. Students will cover areas of study such as professional business writing, public speaking, and political communication.