Online Courses in Computer Information Systems
The online courses below are found in various programs related to information systems.
- System Analysis and Design Course: This course teaches students specific techniques and tools used in structured system analysis and design. System flow-charting and entity relationship diagrams are several approaches taught in this course. Students implement design plans in a project simulation.
- Database Management Course: Students learn structured query language (SQL), object definition language (ODL) and object query language (OQL) in relation to database systems. The course outlines building, populating and writing transactions for a relational database.
- Information Security Course: Information security courses teach students to identify and manage security system threats. Various laws and legal issues pertaining to information security are examined. The course discusses encryption technology and standards, including the Advanced Encryption Standard (AES).
- IT Project Management Course: In this course, students design and implement a mock project based upon current issues prevalent in the field. Students learn risk assessments, leadership techniques and communication methods. The course also focuses on project management skills such as cost estimation and team management.
- Programming Course: Students discuss and practice structured and object-oriented (OO) programming. They learn structured programming concepts, as well as web scripting and Java. Students engage in problem-solving programming exercises using appropriate algorithms and concepts.
- Networking Course: This course examines UNIX and Cisco networking systems; it involves demonstrations and hands-on exercises. Students practice installation, configuration and operation of various systems. Client-server networking infrastructure management skills are also taught.
- Introduction to Internet Applications Course: Students learn common web page design elements. Examples of Extensible Markup Language (XML) and related Rich Internet Application (RIA) technologies are viewed and discussed. Assignments may include implementing a databased Web page that uses an Active Server Page (ASP) and MySQL.
- Information Structures with Java Course: In this course, students learn about developing software using Java. Topics include fundamental programming concepts, interfaces and polymorphism.
- Foundations of Cybersecurity Course:This course teaches students how to identify weak points in an organization's network or computer system with the overall goal of protecting information assets. Cryptography and ethics are also addressed.
Computer information systems courses teach students implementation and management of information technology (IT) within a company or organization. Fully online courses are available at the bachelor's and master's degrees from accredited universities. Graduates of computer information systems programs typically hold positions in software development, web programming or database administration.
Online computer information systems courses are available through bachelor's and master's degree programs. Study topics include cybersecurity, database management and information security.