Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Computer and Information Sciences, General
- Computer Programming
- Computer Systems Analysis
- Data Entry Processing
- Information Technology Management
- Networking and Telecommunications
- Software and Computer Media Applications
Online Courses in Computer Networking
Here are some common online courses related to computer networking.
- Fundamentals of Networking Course: This course is an introduction to networking technologies for wireless networks, local area networks and wide area networks. Students learn how to identify the appropriate design for a network given a scenario. Some topics covered include, but are not limited to, networking protocols, security and the open system interconnection model. This course generally helps students prepare for certification exams.
- Networking and Data Communication Course: Often taken at the beginning of an information technology-related program, this course explores the basics of data and voice communication. Students are introduced to network communication protocols (including TCP/IP), equipment and software. Basic network topologies are examined.
- Advanced Networking and Data Communication Course: This computer networking course requires foundational knowledge gained from introductory networking and data communication courses. Students learn how to configure devices, such as computers, printers and routers, to communicate with each other on a local network. Further examined are various network topologies and their relevance to specific business requirements. Candidates may need access to a second PC or network device to complete lab assignments.
- Network Management and Administration Course: Management of local area networks (LANs) and wide area networks (WANs) is the focus of this advanced, hands-on course. Students learn how to set up and maintain a LAN consisting of networking devices, including servers, computers, printers, voice-over-IP (VoIP) phones, routers and firewalls. Additionally, students hone their troubleshooting skills through exposure to common network communication problems in a lab environment. Virtual computer labs may be available online for remote access; students could then practice configuring switches, routers and firewalls.
- Network Security Course: Protection of data communication by data encryption algorithms is investigated. Students also examine the hardening of computer operating systems - including Windows, Linux, Mac and Unix - and network devices to protect against malicious software attacks and hacking attempts. Network security devices, such as firewalls, intrusion prevention systems (IPS) and intrusion detection systems (IDS), are also presented.
- Fundamentals of Computer Troubleshooting Course: In this course, study will focus on computer hardware and how it's properly configured and maintained. Computer software will also be assessed regarding professional computing and safety standards.
- Graph Theory Course: List structures and binary matrices will be addressed in this online course. Additional topics include directed graphs and planar graphs.
Computer networking is concerned with the flow of data between computers and computer networks. Knowledge of computer networking is fundamental to the work performed by computer scientists, network administrators, software developers, help desk technicians and other information technology professionals. As such, online computer networking classes are included in the curricula of computer science, computer engineering, computer networking and computer systems administration training programs at colleges and universities. Such training programs lead to undergraduate certificates, associate's degrees, bachelor's degrees, graduate certificates or master's degrees. Free courses are also available.
Students interested in learning about computer networking can do so through a number of online options. Certificate and degree programs are available via associate's, bachelor's and master's levels of study. Topics include advanced networking, troubleshooting and data communication.