Find schools that offer these popular programs
Online Courses in Computer Technology
The following descriptions highlight the typical curriculum of the most common online computer technology classes and courses.
- Introduction to Networking Course: The course gives students basic information on networks components and systems. The course covers topics like local area and wide area networks, routing, open system connectivity and security.
- Wireless Networking Course: Students learn about wireless networks from the ground up, becoming familiar with the equipment and components in this class. The course covers cellular and satellite communications as well as multiple access technologies for frequency, time and code division commonly referred to as FDMA, TDMA and CDMA.
- Database Organization and Administration Course: This course introduces students to database systems, including how to create, operate and maintain them. The course also spends time teaching students about common techniques for backup and recovery.
- Design and Analysis for Systems Course: Students are introduced to the design of networks based on customer needs, including considerations such as capacity, performance and size. Students complete design projects for a sampling of network types from asynchronous transfer mode (ATM) to routed wide area networks (WAN).
- Introduction to Mobile Applications: Students learn about remote data and processes as well as front-end software. Those are essential to mobile applications. Topics include remote services and cloud hosting. The challenges of small screen interfaces and limited memory are also explored.
- Programming in C Course: In this course, students will cover C programming topics like arrays, pointers and file manipulation. Additional areas of study include control flow and C++.
- Software Construction Course: This course will teach students about writing software. Topics include testing software in development, evaluating data types and programming techniques.
Many colleges and universities offer online computer technology classes and courses. These courses can be taken fully online and generally include topics on networking, programming and database management.
Online computer technology courses are typically part of associate's, bachelor's, or master's degree programs, but they may be offered on their own for self-enrichment or continuing education credits. Graduates of these programs work in professions where they may build, install, test and maintain computer systems. Others find opportunities in sales and field support. Free courses are also available.
Online computer technology courses are available through free class structures, in addition to associate's, bachelor's and master's degree programs. Areas of study include programming, networking and database organizing.