Find schools that offer these popular programs
Online Courses in Convention Planning
Commonly offered online convention planning courses are summarized here.
- Introduction to Convention Planning Course: Students are led through the process of planning a successful convention. Topics covered include site selection, contract negotiations, budgeting, determining and employing available resources, logistics and on-site supervision. The integration of information technology and human resources, as well as housing and transportation issues, are also examined.
- Business of Convention Planning Course: This course examines mechanisms and methods for budgeting and managing a profitable convention. Students explore case studies and comparison models to determine the income and expense procedures, fiscal control mechanisms and marketing systems needed to achieve a successful and lucrative convention. The economic benefit that conventions can bring to host destinations is also discussed.
- Conventions and Sustainability Course: Environmentally-sound convention planning involves prudent use of natural resources, conscious waste reduction and recycling, water conservation and energy management. Emphasis is placed on selecting a suitable site with an eye on environmentally-friendly building designs, as well as selecting vendors and organizations with suitable green certifications.
- Audio-Visual Course: The critical and often underestimated impact of the audio-visual aspect of a convention is central to this course. Students take a non-technical look at effective ways to use microphones, audio systems and video displays, as well as what to do when they fail to work properly. The course also explores room settings and facilities, audio-visual contractors and appropriate presenters.
- Food and Beverage Course: This class focuses on providing large numbers of convention-goers with quality food and beverage choices that are both safe and nutritious. Students closely investigate the material and chemical properties of food, as well as reliable measures for controlling food-borne illnesses.
- Risk Management Course: This class trains students to control financial, legal and operations risks associated with conventions and events. Students learn how to minimize risks through analysis and assessment. An emphasis is on liabilities, laws governing contracts and event management, and planning practices.
- Vendor Relations Course: This course prepares students to identify vendors offering the products and services that they will need for their convention. Students are trained to carefully evaluate the previous work and professional references of potential vendors before hiring them, and also to thank them appropriately so that they might utilize their services again in the future.
- Destination Events Course: In this course, students learn how to plan for events that take place at destination locations. They gain experience with destination selection, travel planning, budgeting and legal regulations.
Online convention and meeting planning classes may be offered fully online or in hybrid formats that require some in-person components. Executive diplomas, along with undergraduate and graduate certificates and degrees, are available in the field. Individual continuing education courses can also be found online.
For individuals who want to learn to plan outstanding conventions, there are online programs and courses covering a wide range of topics that can be helpful for both the planning and execution of events.