Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Aesthetician and Skin Care
- Barber and Hair Cutting Services
- Beauty Salon Management
- Cosmetology, Hair, and Nail Instructor
- Facial Treatment Specialist
- Hair Design
- Make-Up Artist
- Nail Technician - Manicurist
- Permanent Cosmetics and Tattooing
Online Classes in Cosmetology
Let's take a look at some commonly offered online courses in cosmetology.
- A cosmetology careers course provides an overview of the cosmetology industry by examining career options and discussing the various sub-fields and areas available for specialization. Students consider historical developments, guiding standards, professional practices, influential trends, and emerging technologies in the field.
- In an infection control course, students examine the cosmetologist's role in ensuring that services are provided in a clean and safe environment. The transmission of various pathogens and diseases cosmetologists may come in contact with in their work are discussed. Students learn how to properly sanitize workstations and tools as well as observe universal safety precautions and applicable laws and regulations in this class.
- Students in a cosmetology chemicals course identify sources and effects of the potentially hazardous chemicals used in cosmetology processes and products. Means of exposure, negative health consequences, protective measures, safe use with clients, and proper disposal are discussed. Students also learn the proper treatment for toxic exposure and the importance of adhering to OSHA guidelines for safe handling and incident documentation.
- In classes on pedicures , students learn how to provide safe and clean pedicures. Topics include how to make accurate assessments for when it's appropriate to offer partial pedicures, full pedicures, or refer clients to a podiatrist for further care. In addition, students learn how to properly sanitize and utilize specialized tools.
- A manicurist course focuses on the fundamentals of manicuring, from shaping and polishing the nail to artificial nail technologies. Students will learn about proper sanitation and hygiene practices for manicurists. Additionally, the course will cover skin and nail diseases, disorders, and infections.
- A customer engagement course trains cosmetologists and other spa industry professionals to interact positively with customers. Emphasis is placed on establishing relationships in order to establish a reliable customer base.
- Retail management courses are designed for cosmetologists who want to sell retail beauty products in addition to providing cosmetology services. Students gain experience with product selection, pricing, and visual merchandising strategies.
Though online programs leading to cosmetology certification are not available, there are online courses in cosmetology offered through continuing education and certificate programs. Students getting ready to take their state licensing exam may find prep courses online. Education, experience, and testing requirements for securing and maintaining cosmetology licenses vary from state to state. For this reason, it's important for students to check with the National Accrediting Commission of Cosmetology Arts and Sciences and the appropriate state's cosmetology board to verify that specific classes are suitable.
Even though cosmetology licensure requires on-campus learning, there are many online courses that are relevant for cosmetologists, which can lead to graduate certificates or award continuing education credits.