Find schools that offer these popular programs
Online Design Engineering Courses
Common online courses for design engineers are detailed in the course descriptions below.
- Elements of Engineering Design Course: This course introduces basic component and system design concepts for mechanical, civil, chemical, construction and computer engineering applications. It covers basic materials usage, terminology, manufacturing processes and functional analysis. In addition, it teaches techniques for effective collaboration, creative problem solving, maximizing inventiveness and efficient decision making.
- Materials Engineering Design Course: Students encounter practical design concepts for wood, metal, plastic and concrete components and structures. They utilize formulas to predict the effects of stress, wear, corrosion, shear, buckling and weathering. They combine aesthetic principles with functional requirements to meet system needs, maximize effective use of materials and reduce costs.
- Microelectronics Design Course: Topics in this course cover the theory behind the development of microelectronic components. They study the basic operating principles for micro-electro mechanical systems by reviewing nanotechnology operating mechanics, modeling devices, analyzing circuits and installing components in systems.
- Engineering Design Techniques Course: This class covers practical CAD techniques to analyze concepts, interpret ideas and put them into visual form. It covers section and auxiliary views, dimensioning, modeling and rendering. The material also covers the practical applications of descriptive geometry to create 2- and 3-D drawings.
- Antenna Theory and Design Course: Students examine the fundamentals of electromagnetic radiation and how those concepts play a role in communications equipment design. Topics include antenna technology, wave equation and the operation of electromagnetic radiators in various environments. Advanced knowledge of electrical engineering is required for this course.
- Radar System Design Course: Students in this course use the knowledge they gain about antenna design and learn how to apply it to designing more intricate wide range systems. Primary concepts of radar operation and usage are covered so students can propose a system that addresses those needs while taking in consideration future alterations.
- Ocean System Design Course: This course teaches students how to design naval systems that monitor and address concerns such as taking on water. After learning about hydrodynamics, materials, and power and thermal aspects of ocean vehicles, students work in groups to complete a final project using conceptual and preliminary computational design tools. The goal of completing the project is to introduce students to these design tools and create innovative alternatives to common issues.
Fully online courses related to design engineering are often found within programs in engineering, mechanical engineering or communications engineering via bachelor's and master's degrees. Individual courses are also available in addition to graduate certificates. Programs in transmission and distribution engineering, plastic engineering technology and electrical engineering may also include coursework on design.
Some online classes for design engineers may require special software or computer-assisted design (CAD) programs.
Online courses for design engineering can be taken through graduate certificates, and bachelor's and master's degrees, or through standalone classes. Students will study course topics like antenna theory, materials engineering design and ocean systems design.