Find schools that offer these popular programs
- American History
- Ancient Studies
- Asian History
- Classical Mediterranean and Near Eastern Studies
- Cultural Resource Management
- European History
- Historic Preservation
- History of Science and Technology
- Holocaust Studies
- Medieval and Renaissance Studies
- Museum Studies
- Public History and Archival Administration
Online Ancient History Courses
The following course summaries detail the curriculum of commonly offered online ancient history courses.
- Origins of Western Civilization Course: This course is usually offered at the undergraduate level, and it explores the cultures that are considered the basis of the modern Western world. The civilizations of the ancient Mediterranean, North Africa and the Middle East are studied.
- Ancient History Survey Course: A general ancient history survey course includes studies of major ancient civilizations. Not only are ancient Rome and Greece explored, but Africa, Meso-America, and ancient India and China also are examined. Topics include social and political structures, agriculture, art and historic religions.
- Ancient Rome and Greece Course: The parallel and intertwined histories of Rome and Greece are reviewed chronologically in this course. A typical course covers major historical figures, literature, art and archaeological evidence and artifacts. In many cases, courses connect the classical world and the modern world.
- Pre-Columbian America Course: An ancient Americas course may cover both North and South American indigenous cultures. Anthropological and archaeological evidence is presented in context with the history and culture of native civilizations, such as the Aztec Empire, the Inca, the Maya, the Chaco culture and other Southwestern U.S. cultures.
- Ancient Egypt Course: In this course, students examine the culture of Ancient Egypt. Topics include history, art, archaeology and religion. This course can be appealing to archaeology students interested in the history of Egyptian temples.
- Introduction to Ancient and Medieval Studies Course: This type of course will often survey different eras and topics in ancient history each time it's offered, such as different empires and leaders. Example topics include Charlemagne and Rome under Augustus. Students will address the differences and similarities of these medieval and ancient societies.
- Athens in the Fourth and Fifth Centuries BC Course: Students in this course will study urban architecture in the age of Pericles. Other areas of study include the politics and culture of the age, famous buildings like the Agora, and plays by writers like Sophocles.
Topics in ancient history are covered through the history, anthropology, archaeology, humanities or classical studies departments of most schools. Many aspects of ancient history may be covered in online courses, including the origins of western civilization, the early Americas and the history of art, political systems and science. Graduate certificates and bachelor's and master's degrees in ancient history are offered online.
Online courses in ancient history are available via bachelor's and master's degree programs, graduate certificate programs and even free standalone classes. Topics to be covered may include ancient Egypt, Greece and Rome.