Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Aeronautical and Astronautical Engineering
- Biological and Agricultural Engineering
- Biomedical and Medical Engineering
- Ceramic Sciences
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Drafting and Design Engineering
- Electrical Engineering and Electronics
- Engineering - Architectural
- Engineering Mechanics
- Engineering Physics
- Environmental Engineering
- Forest Engineering
- Geological Engineering
- Industrial Engineering
- Manufacturing Engineering
- Materials Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Metallurgical Engineering
- Mining Engineering
- Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering
- Nuclear Engineering
- Ocean Engineering
- Petroleum Engineering
- Plastics Engineering
- Systems Engineering
- Textile Technologies
Online Land Surveying Technology Courses
The following descriptions are for some of the courses offered online for land surveying students.
- Introduction to Land Surveying Course: Students are taught technical skills, such as surveying distance and basic mapping. They are also introduced to professional standards and concepts like property lines, angles and elevation.
- Math for Surveying Course: The course reviews common math, like algebra and trigonometry, needed in surveying. Students also learn advanced skills like coordinate geometry and its algorithms.
- Drawing and Design for Surveyors Course: Students learn about drafting techniques and the tools required for land surveying. The course teaches students to apply learned skills to different types of drawings, including isometric, orthographic and section.
- Law and Ethics of Surveying Course: The course discusses the history and evolution of land and its boundaries, primarily in the United States. Students learn about legal principles, different types of deeds and methods of property transfer to name a few topics.
- Surveying & Mapping Practice Course: Students examine topics such as water boundary surveys, lot and section surveys as well as the surveyor office procedures required for professional practice.
- Engineering Problem with Spreadsheets Course: This course will teach students basic problem-solving techniques with computer spreadsheets. Students will focus on subjects like graphs, how to reference important material and various spreadsheet functions.
- Basic Geodesy Course: Students in this course will explore the history of geodesy. Topics include coordinate systems, datums and measurement techniques.
Online land surveyor courses train students to use data and measurements to record the topography of land and to establish legal property boundaries. Modern land surveying programs link traditional concepts of mapping and property ownership with the latest technology in geographic information.
Although land surveying technology courses are available as certificate programs, surveyors typically need a bachelor's degree. To be qualified to serve the public and certify legal survey documents, surveyors must also be licensed; some states require licensure candidates to have a degree from an ABET-accredited school. Those without a license can work as surveying or mapping technicians.
Online courses in land surveying technology are available via certificate, associate's and bachelor's degree programs. Topics for these courses include geodesy, surveying and mapping, and drawing and design.