Find schools that offer these popular programs
Online Training Courses in Fiber Optics
Here are some of the online courses often available in fiber optics.
- Theory of Fiber Optics Course: Students receive an overview of fiber optics and the concepts behind the transmission of light and data over the glass fibers. They also gain an understanding of reception, transmission and communication.
- Cleaver Course: This course module focuses on the basic tools, primarily the cleaver, used by fiber optics technicians. Students learn cleaving and splicing techniques and their importance to assuring ideal transmission rates.
- Design of Fiber Optic Systems Course: Students learn about communications and links over fiber optics networks. The module discusses the types of transmitters and cables and their roles in a complete system.
- Power Source and Measure Course: The course covers power meters and measurement of signal power over fiber optic networks. Students learn about single-mode and multimode cabling, connector types and range of wavelength.
- Fiber Optic Infrastructure Specialist Course: This course provides a broad study of fiber optic systems including their installation, testing and maintenance. Common fiber types, system design, the ancillary apparatus and system inspection are all covered.
- Network Management Course: In this course, students are familiarized with the theoretical and practical aspects of managing networks, including fiber optics-based networks. Students learn about best practices in the field, as well as the most recent innovations and developments.
- Network Security Course: In this course, students learn how to protect networks against cyber attacks and other security threats. Topics of study include firewall configuration, traffic filtering and threat detection.
Careers in fiber optics can range from hands-on work installing and repairing a network to designing new and better ways to create the optical threads that transmit data. Individuals seeking entry-level jobs can start with online courses to become fiber optics technicians. There are also online certificate and bachelor's degree programs available in the closely related field of telecommunications technology.
Students should note that the Fiber Optics Association oversees increasing levels of certification in the fiber optics industry and approves schools that provide training. To reach the first level as a Certified Fiber Optics Technician (CFOT), students must pass the FOA's exam. Students are not required to attend an FOA-approved program to take the CFOT exam; they can prepare for the exam through work experience or through independent or online study. The FOA's website lists qualified programs, though online offerings are typically not FOA-approved.
Online courses and training for fiber optics require access to a computer and an internet connection. Some training programs include access to online video lessons or examples or to online technical manuals.
Individuals who want to pursue careers related to fiber optics can take online courses that cover fiber optics technology, as well as more general online classes in networking and telecommunications. Some courses are available within an undergraduate certificate or degree programs.