Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Aircraft Powerplant Tech
- Airframe Mechanics and Aircraft Maintenance
- Alternative Fuel Vehicle Technologies
- Autobody Repair
- Automotive Mechanics
- Avionics Repair and Maintenance
- Diesel Mechanics
- Engine Machinist
- Heavy Vehicle and Truck Tech
- Marine Watercraft Repair and Maintenance
- Motorcycle Repair and Maintenance
- Small Engine Mechanics
- Vehicle Emissions Inspection
Online Heavy Truck Mechanics Courses and Training Programs
The descriptions below summarize some of the available online courses in heavy truck mechanics.
- Information Systems Course: One of the few course subjects available completely online, information systems training prepares students to diagnose and repair electronic information systems in heavy trucks. Students learn to recognize basic terminology and read computer printouts of repairs that may be needed. A focus on the metric system is covered.
- Diesel Mechanics Training Program Course: This online course is usually offered as a training program. Through books and other materials, students learn about diesel engines, batteries and electrical systems in diesel trucks and buses. They also learn about computerized systems management, HVAC systems, brake systems, wheels and suspensions. Students use 3D images and step-by-step guides to learn the dissection, diagnostics and repair of heavy diesel equipment. Some programs involve the study of specific trucks and equipment, such as Allison transmissions.
- Diesel Engine Course: Courses on diesel engine mechanics are primarily on-campus offerings, though some online training programs may offer visual aids. Students learn how to build, diagnose and repair diesel engines for boats, buses, trucks and farm equipment. Through manuals, videos and 3D diagrams, students can learn the basics to working with diesel equipment. Students are urged to have access to a shop in which they can perform the techniques discussed in the course materials.
- Hydromechanical Diesel Fuel Injection Systems Course: Students in this course learn about the fuel requirements of diesel engines. Topics covered include the chemistry of diesel fuel, fuel injection and the reason diesel fuel deteriorates over time.
- Truck Electrical Systems Course: This course covers the fundamental theories in truck electrical systems. Repair and maintenance aspects will also be discussed.
- Tires, Suspension and Steering Course: In this course, the operational basics of steering and repair of suspension systems are examined, along with concepts for servicing and maintaining truck tires and wheels.
Heavy truck mechanics work on diesel trucks and are also trained to work on machinery such as backhoes, farm equipment, buses and other heavy equipment. Students enrolled in these online courses may find them useful in preparing for certification tests such as those offered by the Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) professional organization. The hands-on skills related to truck maintenance must be learned by practicing them personally. Online diploma programs also exist.
Online courses for heavy truck mechanics are offered through training programs and diplomas. Students will cover certain topics such as truck electrical systems, diesel engines and information systems.