Online Certified Medical Assistant Courses
Here are some of the medical assisting courses that are offered online.
- Medical Terminology for Medical Assistants Course: This introductory online course familiarizes students with medical terms that relate to major body systems, clinical laboratory procedures, oncology and diagnostic imaging processes. Classes emphasize knowledge of commonly used medical terms; learning may be structured via common roots, prefixes and suffixes.
- Anatomy and Physiology Course: A firm understanding of body structures and their functions form the heart of this course. Participants examine each organ system and the role particular systems play in supporting overall body functions. Disease processes and modalities for diagnostic treatments are included. This class is typically found towards the beginning of most medical assisting programs.
- Human Disease Course: Common disease conditions, including possible causes and symptoms, are highlighted in this online course. Class content includes the effect of diverse disease activities on body systems, and prevailing diagnostic and treatment procedures.
- Administrative Skills Course: This distance learning administrative skills course provides an overview of administrative tasks medical assistants commonly perform. Topics covered include bookkeeping procedures, clerical functions, medico-legal concepts, ethical communication and the management of written and electronic medical records.
- General Psychology Course: Students in this class will study the science behind human behavior, with a focus on emotions, connections between physiology and psychology, and methods of coping with stress. This course is an optional elective for many medical assistant degrees, and gives students a better understanding of the psychological concerns of patients.
- Nutrition Course: In this course, students explore nutrition from scientific and global standpoints, learning about the effects of diet on growth, aging and general health. They also learn about exercise and food safety protocols.
- Health Insurance Reimbursement Course: This course covers the basics of health insurance reimbursement, including the different types of insurance plans and how to handle claims within each one. Students also gain experience with service coding, payment adjudication and auditing.
Medical assistants are responsible for a variety of clinical and administrative tasks that support other health practitioners within hospitals, health care clinics and medical offices. Hands-on learning is required to learn many of the profession's critical skills, such as sterilizing instruments or taking patient vital signs, so fully online medical assisting programs are not typically available. However, there are a few institutions that offer fully online diploma and associate's degree programs, though they may require on-site externships at the student's location. There are also online bachelor's degree-completion programs in medical assisting that are available for individuals who have already completed hands-on training through an associate's degree program.
Graduates of medical assistant degree, certificate and diploma programs are qualified for state or national credentialing exams to become certified medical assistants. Programs can often be completed in 10-24 months. Exams may be given online or at approved program sites. Students may need current CPR-first aid certification prior to program enrollment.
Online undergraduate degree and certificate programs for aspiring medical assistants combine coursework in biomedical science, health and medical office administration.