Online Civil Engineering Technician Courses
The following descriptions are for commonly offered online civil engineering technician courses.
- Introduction to AutoCAD Course: This course teaches students the basics of computer-aided drafting (CAD) using the latest version of AutoCAD software. Students design a project complete with dimensions, layers and text styles using the editing and drawing commands.
- Introduction to Civil Design Applications Course: As a continuation of AutoCAD, students are introduced to AutoDesk Land Desktop. Emphasis is on using the basic AutoCAD commands, while implementing complex commands such as dimensioning, symbol libraries, blocks/attributes and attribute extractions.
- Basic Surveying Course: Students learn leveling and linear surveying, in addition to surveying methods for transit and highway curves. Topics include calculating latitude, understanding meridian and finding tangent distance.
- Applied Statics Course: Students analyze the effect different forces have on machines and structures during various loading procedures. Friction, force vectors, material properties and stress/strain relationships are discussed.
- Construction Safety for Civil Engineering Technicians Course: This course - consisting of video, lecture and group discussion - addresses the safety issues that apply to civil engineering technicians. Students learn health and safety hazards related to construction in addition to flagging operations, traffic control, and safety equipment.
- Business and Technical Writing Course: In this course, students enhance their writing proficiency so they can write business and technical documents. Research practice, effective organization, and paragraph construction may be covered.
- Structural Engineering Design Course: In this course, students will examine structural engineering design principles. Topics include steel and concrete design and current design issues.
- Introduction to Transportation Systems Course: In this course, students will analyze various theories related to systems of transportation. Areas of study include transportation networks and components of these types of systems.
Completely online civil engineering technician programs are rare given the hands-on nature of the field, though students can find online coursework via civil engineering, construction technology, and civil engineering technology programs. Successful graduates may find employment with construction companies, architecture firms, engineering consulting offices and government agencies. Students taking online courses in civil engineering technology may be required to have specific software, such as AutoCAD. Courses are available through standalone classes, and associate's and bachelor's degrees.
Online courses for civil engineering are offered via individual classes, and associate's and bachelor's degrees. Students will study topics like business and technical writing, civil design applications and structural engineering.