Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Information Systems Security
- Networking Management
- Systems Administration
- Webmaster and Multimedia Management
Online Computer Security Courses
Below are some courses related to computer security that can be taken online.
- Basics of Industrial Computer Security Course: Students learn the fundamentals of operating systems, software and network security in this course. Also presented are industry standards, compliance testing, business applications and Internet security. The course addresses encryption basics and introduces security needs analysis.
- Using Cryptography in Effective Security Protocols Course: In this course students develop techniques to identify and avoid cryptographic programming errors that can leave systems vulnerable. The course also analyzes implementing existing security protocols and examines their potential flaws. Students research known issues and possible threats.
- Computer Security and Homeland Security Course: This course details the need for business contingency and continuity plans in the context of homeland security. Students model methods to prevent cyber-attacks and minimize information loss. Specific emergency response techniques to maintain computer security and restore network integrity during and after a national crisis are also presented.
- Implementing Data Security on the Web Course: Students develop business security policies and craft standard operating procedures in this course. Also examined are techniques for maintaining data security on new and extant networks. Other topics include human and technological issues, identifying risks, situation management and company-wide security education.
- Basic Personal Computer Security Course: This course provides private individuals with specific tips to maintain security on personal computers. Students learn techniques to protect online identity, avoid phishing and safeguard against viruses, adware, worms and other forms of malware. Although designed for adult learners, this class offers specific advice for parents to provide safe computer experiences for children.
- Firewall and Perimeter Security Course: Students learn the essentials of protecting a corporate computer system. They learn how unauthorized access can occur, along with techniques for blocking hackers. Topics include available Intrusion Detection Systems (IDS) and their use. Assignments may include developing a security plan.
- Software Security Foundations Course: This course will cover computer security principles like authentication and access control. Secure programming techniques, and topics like SQL injections and buffer overflows, will also be covered.
- Joining Cisco Devices Course: In this course, students will learn about the management of Cisco switches. Various topics include routing protocols and wireless network protocols.
Online computer security studies designed for business and public service may lead to degrees like a Bachelor of Science in Information Management and Security or a Bachelor of Science in Information Systems Management. Advanced degrees may include a Master of Science in Homeland Security. Certificate programs are also available.
College courses may also be taken independently of degree programs by utilizing open courseware options. Many of these courses have prerequisites, however, such as knowledge of computer programming. Individuals interested in personal computer security may find non-credit enrichment courses offered by organizations such as Microsoft.
Computer security courses can be taken online via bachelor's and master's degree programs. Certificate pathways exist as well. Course topics include cryptography, homeland security and basic home computer security.