Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Aesthetician and Skin Care
- Barber and Hair Cutting Services
- Beauty Salon Management
- Cosmetology, Hair, and Nail Instructor
- Facial Treatment Specialist
- Hair Design
- Make-Up Artist
- Nail Technician - Manicurist
- Permanent Cosmetics and Tattooing
Online Make-Up Courses
The following course descriptions show some of the commonly offered online courses for make-up professionals.
- Day and Evening Make-up Course: The day and evening make-up course teaches students how to apply appropriate, natural make-up for day and do more dramatic looks at night, including the smoky eye shadow technique. This course covers many basic make-up fundamentals.
- Wedding and Bridal Make-up Course: The wedding make-up course focuses on the creation of longwearing looks that translate well both in person and on camera and film. Students will learn many techniques and tips utilized by make-up professionals to ensure a lasting and polished image.
- Photography, Television and Film Make-up Course: This course is geared toward teaching make-up application for photography or film purposes. Lighting, color correction, HDTV make-up, film and television etiquette and terminology are some topics covered in these courses.
- Special Effects and Fantasy Make-up Course: In this course, students will learn how to correctly apply prosthetics, wigs, casts and foams in order to create extraordinary looks for screen or television. Students will also learn how to produce characterizations for fantasy make-up application. In-depth videos, illustrated diagrams as well as study guides will help students grasp the advanced concepts taught in these courses.
- Runway and Fashion Make-up Course: This course will cover how to handle a beauty product campaign, backstage management and make-up application for runway shows. Students in this course will also learn about the make-up artist's role in the busy backstage at fashion runway shows, as well as photography set dynamics. This type of course is usually geared toward the make-up professional who desires opportunities for career advancement.
- Airbrushing Technique Course: Students in this course will learn the fundamentals of working with airbrush technology to create perfect, and advanced makeup looks. Students will gain experience creating a flawless base, and will practice contouring and highlighting to enhance and accentuate facial features. The course will also cover information on basic hygienic and safety practices, as well as equipment maintenance.
- Customer Service Course: This course helps makeup artists who work in spas or on a freelance basis to build a loyal customer base. They learn to listen to customer needs and interact with them positively, in a way that encourages them to return for service in the future.
- Retail Management Course: For makeup professionals who want to sell makeup products as well as provide service, this course provides an introduction to choosing merchandise and setting prices. It also covers marketing and visual merchandising.
Online courses for make-up professionals are frequently offered as a non-credit series or part of a college certificate program. Quality of coursework can vary, so students may wish to ensure the school and teachers are established and of good repute in the industry prior to enrolling. Upon completing these online make-up courses, individuals may find work in industries such as film, television, fashion and bridal. Many of the classes are conducted through video demonstrations or PowerPoint presentations, since make-up application is very hands-on.
Students may need a digital camera to upload pictures of their work. Exams usually take place in writing or through instructor review of photographs in a student's portfolio. Make-up kits, tools and supplies are required and - when not included with the tuition fees - may need to be separately purchased by the student. Most students' work is practiced and documented on themselves.
For individuals who want to pursue professional careers related to makeup application, there are a variety of courses online that can help them improve their skills and prepare for business success.