Online Office Assistant Courses
Here are the class descriptions of commonly offered online courses for office assistants.
- Basic Business Grammar Course: This introductory course reviews the fundamental skills used in writing, grammar, spelling and sentence structure. Classes focus on business vocabulary, correct punctuation and the proofreading of documents. Students may be required to demonstrate a basic level of skill in English and comprehension prior to entering the course.
- Business Writing Course: The basics of written business communications is the focus of this course, with an emphasis on writing letters and memos, e-mail correspondences and reports. Classes in fundamental writing techniques, active and passive voice and the avoidance of jargon and slang phrases help students to create, format and review effective and professional business documents.
- Keyboarding Course: Students without prior experience will develop a mastery of the computer keyboard through practice exercises in touch typing. Classes include an introduction to word processing software, concepts used in formatting business correspondence and proofreading skills.
- Word Processing Software Course: This course introduces students to the main functions of computer word processing programs. Students learn to create, modify, save and print documents. This class helps students change the formatting of a document, use grammar and spelling check features and more. Students learn to use the built-in thesaurus feature, organize files and print documents.
- Spreadsheet Software Course: This course focuses on the basic functionality of spreadsheets and worksheets, including writing formulas, sorting data, creating graphs and producing multi-dimensional charts. Classes consist of hands-on training to build accuracy while entering data values, using macros, linking files and creating correct formulas.
- Presentation Software Course: Students learn to create multimedia business presentations that include animation, video and audio clips, Web links and special effects in this course. Classes include information on formatting and editing text within slides, inserting charts and objects, using downloaded clip art and templates and exporting slide shows for use on the Web or on other computers.
- Office Finances Course: In this course, students learn bookkeeping fundamentals that will prepare them for the financial management responsibilities of an office assistant. Coursework may include basic banking, technology and software used in bookkeeping, and billing procedures.
- Oral Communications Course: This course focuses on building skills for effective oral communications within office environments. Students learn how to use tactful and diplomatic speaking techniques to establish and reinforce business relationships.
- Meeting Planning Course: In this course, students learn about planning large meetings. The curriculum emphasizes cost-saving methods when searching for facilities and evaluating other meeting requirements.
Several two-year and four-year colleges offer six-month to one-year online programs that result in an office administrative diploma or certificate. Students may also complete online coursework for an Associate Degree in Office Administration. The courses in these programs can be taken fully online, without ever having to step foot inside a classroom.
Some online courses for office assistants may have specific technical and software requirements, which will be outlined in the course curriculum. A high degree of self-motivation and good time management skills may also contribute to the success of students enrolled in online courses for office assistants.
Individuals who want to work as office assistants can prepare for the career by taking courses that cover business concepts, practices and technologies.