Find schools that offer these popular programs
Online Fashion Design Courses
Here are some commonly offered online courses in fashion design.
- Fashion Design Course: This online course introduces students to basic design principles, including proportion and color. Garment and clothing details and terminology are also discussed. Students work on developing and editing collections and studying current fashion trends. The course often includes basic figure and technical drawings.
- Patternmaking Course: Students begin with an introduction to basic sewing techniques and tools as they learn to measure and use a sewing machine. The course discusses fabric choice and care before moving on to more advanced sewing skills, including embroidery and decorations. Alterations and drafting sewing patterns are also included. Some classes focus on constructing patterns for specific garments.
- Textile Design Course: Students explore the world of fabrics in this online course. Topics include the basic qualities, uses and history of natural and man-made fabrics along with the proper uses and finishes for various textiles. Some courses encourage students to create textile design projects.
- Fashion Illustration Course: This online course teaches students the basics of flat and garment detail drawing. Students focus on learning to properly draw the clothed body. Some courses focus on illustration using Adobe Illustrator software.
- Fashion Styling Course: In this course, students will learn the basics for building a styling portfolio. Students will have a chance to gain hands-on experience creating looks and concepts for photo shoots, as well as learning how to collaborate with models, make-up and hair artists and photographers to create a compelling final image.
- Color Theory Course: In this course, students explore color qualities and interactions, especially as they relate to design. The curriculum can provide a theoretical underpinning for creating aesthetically pleasing garments and outfits.
- Fabrics Course: Students in this course learn about the different types of fabrics that are available and how to work with them. They also find out how to wash and maintain garments made with particular fabrics.
Online programs that include online fashion design courses are available at the associate's, bachelor's and master's degree levels. Students in online fashion design courses learn to design and construct clothes and accessories. Depending upon the course, students may need to purchase and install specific software, such as Adobe Creative Suite, and may need other physical class materials, such as a sewing machine and digital camera. These requirements will vary based on the school, and students are encouraged to investigate required software and hardware for their chosen program before enrollment. After completing the coursework, students may find jobs as fashion designers, costume designers or fashion illustrators.
Even though fashion design often requires a lot of hands-on practice, there are many online courses and programs that provide both conceptual and practical education for future fashion designers.