Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Building Inspection
- Concrete Finishing
- Construction Mgmt, General
- Construction Site Management
- Drywall Installation
- Electrical and Power Transmission Installers
- Electrical Systems Lineworker
- Facilities Management
- Furniture Making
- Home Equipment and Furnishings Installer
- Home Improvement
- House Painting and Wall Paper
- Metal Building Assembly
- Plumbing Technology
- Property Management and Maintenance
- Well Drilling
Online Home Inspection Classes
Below are the descriptions of the most commonly offered online courses in home inspection.
- Structural and Roofing Inspection Class: This course provides an overview of inspection guidelines with a review of structural dynamics as affected by weight, movement and other stressors. Topics include foundation and slab construction, roofing materials and typical roof faults, chimney inspection and natural weather deterioration.
- Exterior and Interior Inspection Class: This class focuses on the inspection of exterior and interior walls, entryways, balconies and porch or deck structures. Topics include asphalt driveway integrity, fireplace safety, weather damage to siding and pest control.
- Electrical Systems Class: Basic electrical terms and elements are discussed in this class. Details include electrical inspection and safety guidelines as well as inspection of wiring, switches and outlets.
- Plumbing Systems Class: This class outlines inspection procedures for public and private water supplies, including a review of piping, functional flow and fixtures. Topics include hot water systems, corrosion, drainage and waste management systems.
- Heating and Cooling Systems Class: This class provides an in-depth look at safety issues surrounding gas and oil-fired heating systems, hot water boilers, steam systems and forced air furnaces. Cooling elements discussed include the refrigerant cycle, cooling capacity and water cooling systems.
- Ventilation and Insulation Inspection Class: This class discusses the various types of home insulation, ventilation guidelines and crawl space inspection. Information on Radon gas, water penetration and weather-caused deterioration is also reviewed.
- Professional Practices Class: In this course, students will learn about the necessary skills for employment as a home inspector. Topics include marketing skills, the creation and maintenance of business records and proper communication skills with potential clients.
- The Inspection Process Class: This course offers a detailed perspective of the procedures associated with home inspection, including how home inspection organizations work with real estate companies. Students will examine what is required to become a home inspector, their responsibilities, home inspection reports, safety standards and building codes.
Online home inspection courses can be found through the continuing education departments of several colleges, as well as through professional associations on online diploma programs. These courses can be taken fully online and offer comprehensive instruction on home construction practices, standard building design and traditional building materials. Courses also cover specific inspection points, such as structural dynamics, common defects identification and reporting methods.
Successful completion of home inspection courses enables graduates to take state certification examinations and to apply for membership to several home inspection professional groups, including the International Association of Certified Home Inspectors (InterNACHI) and the American Society of Home Inspectors (ASHI). Depending on the state, home inspectors may need to be licensed and/or certified.
Students who want to study home inspection courses online can do so though diploma programs or classes offered through a school's continuing education department. Topics include roofing inspection, electrical systems and plumbing.