Online research methodology classes can satisfy some requirements for degrees such as the Master of Science in Educational Psychology. Specialized degrees, such as the Master of Science in Construction Management, offer research methodology classes tailored to the field. Certificate programs are also available online in educational research methodology and clinical research methods. In classes where research methodology requires statistics, calculators with advanced and graphing functions are useful.
Online Research Methodology Courses
Below are a few of the most commonly offered research methodology courses.
- Review of Basic Research Concepts and Theories Course: This course reviews the characteristics and use of classical and modern research methodologies such as experimental, historical and causal-comparative. It defines technical terms like empirical research, reliability, confounding, evidence, factor analysis, bias, principled argument and item response. The course also teaches techniques to identify research methodologies by type and evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of each.
- Essentials of Research Design Course: Students learn how to design and implement effective research experiments and programs by focusing on issues, developing hypotheses and crafting studies that test hypotheses effectively, fairly and completely. They tailor experiments, gather data, analyze results and report conclusions in both oral and written forms. In addition, they review previously published experiments to identify design, implementation and analytical errors and then propose solutions to correct the faults.
- Advanced Data Analysis Course: This curriculum teaches methods to develop conclusions based on raw data review and statistical analysis. It presents formulas to calculate measures of central tendency, assess dimensionality, examine mean comparison and interpret single factor and 2-way factorial designs. The syllabus also discusses ordinary least squares, multivariate regression analysis, structural equation modeling and component or confirmatory factor analysis.
- Applying Research Methodology in Education Course: Attendees gain practical experience implementing methodologies, evaluating data and correlating material to education programs. They demonstrate mastery of qualitative, quantitative and mixed-methods in research. They also learn the importance of objective evaluation, examine various stakeholders' roles and discuss political and ethical issues when reporting results to parents, teachers and administrators.
- Data Collection and Management for Clinical Research: Students in this course learn the basics of statistics, the principles of data management, how to collect data and the proper procedures for sampling as well as many other related topics.