Online Residential Drafting Courses
The following descriptions summarize some commonly offered residential drafting courses available online and/or in a hybrid format.
- Residential Design and Building Course: In this course, students receive an overview of commonly used building materials, equipment and methods for residential construction. They analyze and select appropriate elements for various construction projects. This online course encourages independent study through visiting and conducting practical reviews at construction sites.
- Drafting Fundamentals Course: Students learn conventional drafting methods using appropriate tools and are introduced to computer-aided drafting. This online course requires students to use various drafting devices and software. Some practical math is needed for problem solving.
- Residential Architectural Drafting Course: Residential drafting skills are specified in this online course. Students take a step-by-step approach to convert designs and sketches to a complete set of working drawings for a home. The course culminates in a residential project that includes multiple levels, as well as interior and exterior plans.
- CAD Applications Course: Students develop drafting skills using computer-aided design and drafting software, such as AutoCAD. They learn techniques for scaled drawings, dimensions and text using CADD applications. The course usually involves developing a design project using CADD software.
- Introductory Drafting Math Course: In this course students will review foundational mathematics principles, while learning the symbols used in drafting for different operations and how to translate drafting signs into traditional math language.
- Parametric Design Course: In this course, students learn to use parametric design software for feature-based solid modeling. They may be required to download Solidworks software.
- Dimensioning Course: This course covers the fundamentals of dimensioning and tolerancing. Students learn how to handle features with different sizes, locations and tolerances in the dimensioning process.
Residential drafters create technical drawings and plans for residential building construction. Along with traditional architectural drawing techniques, they use computer-aided design and drafting (CADD) software programs. Due to the hands-on, technical nature of traditional drafting work, fully online courses and programs will typically focus on computer-aided drafting techniques and technologies, such as AutoCAD, which can then be applied in a variety of drafting fields. Additionally, there are some programs presented in a hybrid format that include courses on campus with online study. Upon completion, students may be awarded a certificate or associate's degree.
Students in online drafting courses will need access to specialized CADD software and basic drafting tools. Courses cover the fundamentals of computerized drafting as well as some basic construction principles.