Find schools that offer these popular programs
Online Alcohol Counseling Courses
Here is a sample of some of the online addictions counseling courses commonly offered through graduate certificate programs.
- Overview of Substance Abuse Course: This online course provides students with fundamental knowledge about the role of substance abuse counselors and the problems encountered by those who abuse substances. The ethical guidelines, counseling principles and assessment techniques utilized in substance abuse counseling are introduced in this general overview. Also, the course explains how alcohol and drug abuse affects human behavior, preparing students to determine the best treatment process for each client.
- Individual and Group Alcohol Counseling Course: Interviewing, organizing and facilitating skills are essential to successful individual and group alcohol counseling. Students observe these skills by viewing videos of other professionals conducting mock therapy sessions. Advanced courses require students to record interviews with mock clients to demonstrate their acquired interviewing skills.
- Social and Multicultural Aspects of Alcohol Abuse Course: This course provides students with the skills to treat the spouses, children and parents of those addicted to alcohol. Students will also study how cultural factors influence which assessment to use and which preventative skill to teach, as well as how they influence clients' addictive behavior.
- Casework Management and Relapse Prevention Therapy Course: In this course, students will receive an overview of basic skills necessary for efficient case management. The course will cover topics such as determining and analyzing client goals and tracking progress through evaluation. Students will gain experience in writing out case plans, contracts and treatment objectives. The course will also discuss methods for relapse prevention and trigger identification.
- Assessment and Treatment Planning Course: In this course, students learn about evaluation techniques for clients who are struggling with alcohol addiction. They learn how to use the information they collect to design effective treatment plans.
- Medicinal Chemistry of Drugs of Abuse Course: This course educates aspiring counselors in the chemistry behind drugs of abuse, including alcohol, as well as the biological underpinnings of addiction. Legal topics such as the Controlled Substances Act may also be covered.
Most online training programs for substance abuse counselors can be completed within two semesters as part of a graduate certificate program. These online courses meet the course requirements for licensure and ready students for mandatory internships. Though most online programs provide all required coursework for licensure, students are encouraged to check with their state licensing board to ensure that online credits will qualify them for certification in their state.
Individuals who want to work as counselors for clients who are dealing with alcohol addiction can get much of the training they need through graduate-level online courses, which cover the fundamentals of alcohol addiction itself, as well as methods used for treatment.