Find schools that offer these popular programs
Online Courses for Database Administrators
Below are a few database administration courses commonly found online.
- Database Administration Course: The goal of this course is to develop the concepts and skills commonly required to deal with various sizes of databases. Students will develop plans for security, disaster recovery, backup and restoration. They will also learn to create and use SQL scripts to automate common administrative tasks.
- Database Theory Course: In this course, students develop an in-depth understanding of database concepts and terminology while focusing on the relational databases model. Students will also gain a deeper understanding of how Structured Query Language (SQL) pertains to data modeling and the normalization of database tables and structures.
- Designing Relational Databases Course: In this course, students will explore how the relational database approach is used in both open and closed systems and on both mainframe and client/server platforms; they also learn about the design of systems of all sizes including standalone, workgroup, departmental and enterprise-wide applications. Additionally, students will also learn how to incorporate data from legacy systems, as well as learning how to develop entirely new systems.
- Linux Administration Course: This course is created as an introduction to Linux. Students will learn how to install, configure and maintain programming features unique to Linux. Students will also learn the role of Linux and how it pertains to an enterprise database environment.
- Database Security Course: Students are taught how to design and maintain databases to minimize risk of attack. Processes and techniques for securing databases are covered in this course including user accounts, privileges and roles, authentication methods, encryption, and auditing.
- Fundamentals of Information Technology Course: In this course, students learn about basic computing concepts. Special emphasis will also be placed on computer security, information management and networks.
- Cyberlaw and Ethics Course: In this course, students explore the concepts of professionalism with regard to online behavior. Topics include modern legal issues with regard to computers, in addition to social and historical aspects of those concerns.
Online database administrator courses are offered as part of many degree programs and certificates, such as an associate degree in database administration or a bachelor's degree in computer science. Database administration courses may also be available online through computing companies, like Microsoft.
Online database administrator courses use advanced software not common in other online courses. Microsoft SQL Server, Microsoft Windows Server and Oracle Database are essential. A basic knowledge of the Linux operating system is also recommended. In most cases, the learning materials include textbooks, simulations, virtual labs and online software tutorials, which are mostly read and studied on a student's own schedule.
Online courses for database administrators are available through certificate programs in addition to associate's and bachelor's degrees. Students will study cyberlaw, database theory and Linux, among other topics.