Find schools that offer these popular programs
Online Courses in Database Systems
Below are some of the online courses commonly available for students interested in database systems.
- Database Systems Design and Management Course: This course is often included at the start of many computer science or IT undergraduate degree and certificate programs. It teaches students to design, organize and create a database system with specific software packages, such as Microsoft Access. Students also learn to run reports and retrieve information from the system.
- Database Systems Administration Course: Often following a design class in undergraduate programs, this course trains students in the administrative duties of managing a computer database. Specific course topics include loading and transferring information, restore and recovery options, troubleshooting and network permissions.
- Relational Database Systems Course: Relational database classes are also often taken after a course in database design. Students use online tutorials to learn about security features, advances database queries and relationship models.
- Advanced Database Systems Planning Course: This graduate-level online course requires students to design and develop advanced database management systems. Using online tutorials and simulations, students learn to evaluate the needs of an organization in order to build specific systems.
- SQL Programming Course: Distance learning programs in database systems also include classes in Structured Query Language (SQL) at both the graduate and undergraduate level. Students learn to use the programming language to create records, run advanced reports and create tables within databases.
- Computer Systems Security Foundations Course: This course provides a foundation in computer systems security that is essential to any database systems professional. The history of computer systems security is explored. Class assignments may include creating a set of computer systems security models that are based on proven approaches.
- Database Security Course: Students in this course will focus on scenarios for Oracle. Course topics include auditing, Virtual Private Databases and passwords. Advanced topics, like database management security issues and access controls, will also be covered.
- Data Mining Course: In this course, students will be introduced to web and text mining. Mining software, like Weka Data, will be addressed in addition to assessing algorithms via data sets.
Online database systems classes are available from many accredited colleges and universities. They are usually offered as part of information technology or computer science programs. Some schools also offer database systems classes outside of a degree program. Coursework can vary in difficulty, ranging from the associate's through graduate degree and certificate programs. For this technical subject, most online courses are at the graduate level.
Since these classes teach students about specific database management systems, students are likely to need that software during the course. Sometimes, the college or university will provide access to an online library which includes those programs.
Consider taking online database systems courses through certificate programs, at both the undergraduate and graduate level. Degree programs are also available at these levels. You'll be taking courses in data mining, database security and SQL programming, among other topics.