Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Advanced General Dentistry Programs
- Dental Assisting
- Dental Clinical Science
- Dental Hygienist
- Dental Laboratory Tech
- Dental Materials
- Dental Public Health and Education
- Dentistry - DDS, DMD
- Oral Biology and Oral Pathology
- Oral Surgery
- Pediatric Dentistry
Online Courses for Aspiring Dental Office Managers
Here are some of the online courses available in dental office management.
- Managing a Dental Office Course: This course gives students an overview of office management at a dental practice, including bookkeeping, patient filing and scheduling. Students also learn about federal privacy regulations.
- Dental Finance Course: Students learn about common financial transactions and bookkeeping practices within a dental office. This course covers all aspects of billing, from dental codes to online payments.
- Scheduling for a Dental Office Course: This course teaches the scheduling process for a dental practice. Students become familiar with common terminology and treatment plans that contribute to the design of an overall patient recall system.
- Law and Ethics of the Dental Office Course: This course gives students a background in the legal and ethical aspects of dentistry. Students will receive extensive training on federal laws governing privacy, such as the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), and work safety regulations.
- Beginner's Guide to Dental Insurance Course: Students learn the terminology involved in dental insurance, the effective ways to collect the information needed to file dental claims and how to explain insurance benefits.
- Project Leadership and Communication Course: This course may prepare aspiring dental office managers to facilitate effective communications when working on projects within a dental office. They learn how to organize teams, manage conflicts and negotiate personnel issues.
- Interviewing and Hiring Course: In this course, future dental managers can learn to apply interviewing and applicant evaluation techniques to hire the best applicants to meet their office's needs. Topics include writing job descriptions, reviewing resumes and asking good interview questions.
Online courses for dental office management are not common. A closely related field- medical office management- has many more offerings and there are many cross-over or similar skills involved. Medical office and health administration degrees at the associate and bachelor's levels are available from several universities and community colleges.
The ADA (American Dental Association) offers an online certificate program in dental practice management that helps dentists and dental office administrators develop business skills and improve office efficiency. This certificate course covers several topics including negotiation and conflict management, understanding leadership and dental team management.
Although online programs aimed specifically at aspiring dental office managers are scarce, there are a variety of online training programs that include relevant coursework in office administration and management.