Online Courses for Dispatchers
Some of the most common online dispatcher courses are summarized below.
- Emergency Medical Dispatch Course: This course provides a comprehensive overview of emergency dispatcher job responsibilities. Discussion also covers legal and ethical concerns. Students practice methods for obtaining information from callers and stress management techniques through simulated calls. This course may involve Web seminars and conference calls.
- Aviation Regulatory Requirements Course: Students focus on qualifications and regulations for the aviation industry. Coursework explains the rules for domestic, flag and supplemental operations. Safety standards according to FAA regulations are stressed for both passengers and crew.
- Navigation and Aircraft Navigation Systems Course: Aircraft navigation is monitored through complex computer systems and programs. This course helps familiarize students with these systems. Students also learn how to read and apply navigational charts and airspace plans. The course may utilize computer programs for simulated exercises.
- Air Traffic Control Procedures Course: Air traffic control refers to the management and coordination of flights departing, arriving and en route. Air traffic control procedures and responsibilities are taught in this course with topics such as separation minimums, holding procedures and priority handling. Airspace classifications, route structure and flight plans are other topics of study.
- Fire Services Communications Course: Communication is key in any area in which a dispatcher is involved. This course will define and discuss the techniques, terms, and protocols necessary for a fire services dispatcher. Topics may include the anatomy of fire and terrorism incidents. The course can also include photographs and illustrations for reference to real world scenarios.
- Intro to Criminal Justice Course: In this course, students will explore various concepts associated with the criminal justice system in America. Topics include crime data, criminal justice agencies and law.
- Victimology Course: This course will address the experience of the victim of a crime. Special emphasis is placed on emotional and psychological factors for those victims, in addition to financial implications.
Dispatchers coordinate operations and communications through direct relay of information to various units within an organization. Emergency medical services (EMS) or 9-1-1 dispatchers gather relevant information from those needing aid and coordinate police, fire and EMS responses. Flight dispatchers ensure the safety of aircraft during takeoff, landing and flight by monitoring progress and communicating with flight crews.
Online dispatcher courses are generally offered for continuing education units (CEUs) or as part of a certificate program. Most courses are offered in partial-residency hybrid formats due to the need for hands-on practical training in the field. Flight dispatcher courses may require specialized software programs for practice simulations and visual familiarity. Some travel may be required for on-site training.
Online dispatcher courses are available through standalone classes and certificate programs. Students will study topics like emergency dispatch, victimology and criminal justice.