Online Courses in Drafting
Below are some of the most commonly offered online courses in drafting.
- Drafting Fundamentals I Course: Students gain an overview of the theories and practices of drafting and architecture. They learn blueprint reading, interior planning, sketching, code interpretation and exterior styling. Training covers single-level stipulations and specifications, drawing processes, production and perception projection.
- Drafting Fundamentals II Course: This course builds upon its predecessor, enabling students to further develop their skills for advanced architectural applications. Participants create drawings for 2-level structures, including elevation levels, foundations, walls and framings for roofs. Also incorporated is an overview of computer-aided drafting and design techniques.
- Principles of Computer-Aided Drafting and Design Course: Students practice with CADD software in order to understand primary functions of the CADD workspace and create 2-dimensional drawings. This course may also offer a foundation of concepts for sections, projections, dimension tolerances, auxiliary views and geometric construction. Students generally need a current version of an operating system such as Windows to run CADD software.
- Independent Project in Drafting Course: An independent student project is a common part of certificate programs and even more likely in undergraduate degree programs. These incorporate architectural drafting by hand and computer to display cumulative skills. Students cover the concepts of drafting a project from beginning to end, including preparation, development, management and the presentation of the final project. They are supervised throughout the project and evaluated on aspects such as information recording, implementation and completion.
- Advanced Drafting Course: Advanced drafting might include such topics as split-level housing, apartment architecture, commercial buildings or metal structures. Drafting students are often asked to create their own blueprints and drawings in this class.
- Renovation and Design Course: Focusing on existing structures, this course teaches students the concepts of designing renovations to upgrade dated structural components or rehabilitate damaged components. Concepts include measuring, evaluating and drawing an existing structure; integrating roof designs that may have complex intersections; and meeting customer needs.
- Basic Drafting Math Course: In this course, students will explore the fundamental rules in mathematics that are required for a successful drafting career. Operation signs and their application in drafting will be covered.
- Pictorial Drawing Course: This course will teach students about drawing three-dimensional objects with the appropriate coordinates. Perspective and isometric and trimetric drawings will also be discussed.
Numerous businesses need drafters who can use computer-aided drafting and design (CADD) programs, such as AutoCAD. Career environments for drafters include architectural firms, government agencies, civil corporations and aeronautics divisions. An Associate of Science or Associate in Applied Science in a field related to one of these industries may include online drafting courses. Students seeking quicker training can pursue CADD certificates online. Individual courses and diploma programs are also offered in online formats.
Online drafting courses are offered from the beginning to advanced levels in various areas, such as architectural drafting or drafting for industrial design. Generally, students must complete basic courses before moving on to more advanced topics.
Most online drafting courses require students to have the appropriate CADD software used in the class. Sometimes, the software is provided through the school or organization offering the drafting program.
Online drafting courses are provided through stand alone courses, diplomas, certificates and associate's degrees. Coursework will cover topics like drafting fundamentals, renovation and design and pictorial drawing.