Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Appliance Installation and Repair
- Communications Systems Services
- Computer Installation and Repair
- Electronic Equipment Repair
- Industrial Electronics Repair and Maintenance
- Office Machine Repair
- Security System Technology
Electrical Car Systems Courses
Students interested in electrical car systems can find numerous courses online, also known as distance-learning format. The following online courses cover automotive technology, including electrical car systems, in a distance-learning format:
- General Automotive Technology course: An automotive technology course is often one of the first classes in an online program related to car repair and mechanics. This online class includes an overview of the different parts of the car, including the electronics and electrical systems. The tools and equipment needed to repair the different systems are also covered.
- Electrical Systems course: This online course covers the parts of the electrical and electronic systems within a car. This includes switches, circuits, currents, and lights. Distance-learning students learn about protecting circuits, replacing lights, and fixing power accessories. Security, entertainment, and navigation systems may also be covered.
- Automotive Systems and Mechanics course: The course introduces the basic concepts of automotive systems, such as braking, exhaust, heating, cooling, and steering. It also examines alternate fuel systems and devices. The class highlights technological advances by presenting wiring diagrams for electrical propulsion and auxiliary systems.
- Electric and Electric Hybrid Vehicles course: Currently available electric and hybrid vehicles for manufacturers such as Honda and Toyota are examined in this course. Students study the series, parallel, and combination hybrid systems of electric vehicles. The repair of electric vehicles involved in collisions is also examined.
- Science and Math for Auto Mechanics course: This course covers the scientific and mathematical concepts that auto mechanics need to understand and apply when working on electrical car systems. Students learn to calculate percentages and ratios, read relevant graphs, and relate basic physics topics to automotive technologies.
- Automotive Safety course: In this course, aspiring auto mechanics learn about the safety precautions that must be taken when working on electrical car systems, as well as other parts of the vehicle. The curriculum also covers proper equipment use and industry protocols for preventing automobile damage during service.
Online education programs relating to automotive systems are not extremely common, due to the hands-on nature of the field. Some online classes in car electrical systems are available through certificate programs, associate's degree programs, and continuing education courses in automotive technology or repair. These programs typically cover general auto repair and all the major parts of the car, including the electrical system, fuel system, ignition system, and engine.
Students taking an online course need an up-to-date computer with an Internet connection. Some courses require students to purchase a kit for home use, with a digital multimeter, repair manuals, and a guide for preparing for the Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) exam in electrical systems. Some online automotive programs have in-person or laboratory components. These may run concurrent to the class or be scheduled at specific times of the year.
While online educational opportunities are limited for aspiring auto mechanics who want to work on electrical car systems, there are, however, a few programs that cover relevant topics in the field that can help them improve their skills and prepare them for a career working with electrical car systems.