Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Appliance Installation and Repair
- Communications Systems Services
- Computer Installation and Repair
- Electronic Equipment Repair
- Industrial Electronics Repair and Maintenance
- Office Machine Repair
- Security System Technology
Online Electrical Certification Courses
Some of the commonly offered online electrical certification courses are profiled here.
- Due to the dangers of working with electricity, students learn precautions, preventative techniques, and safety regulations in order to avoid shock and fire in a course on safety and tools. This course also familiarizes students with a wide variety of tools and equipment used by electricians. Actual tools may be included in this course.
- Electricians must know how to read blueprints in order to know where and how to properly install electrical systems. In a course on blueprint reading, students learn how to interpret blueprint symbols and abbreviations. This course also explains how to read schematics and electrical drawings.
- In a residential wiring course, students learn how to install wires, lighting, and circuits for all electrical systems within a home. Material also covers special circuiting needs for systems like heating and air conditioning.
- The National Electric Code (NEC) defines the U.S. standards for electrical installation and safety. State license boards require knowledge of the NEC for electricians. This course is designed as a comprehensive review of the NEC that teaches students the terminology, rules, and uses of the code.
- During a course in electrical grounding and bonding, students study the important topic of proper grounding and bonding of electrical systems, especially adherence to the National Electrical Code. The equipment used for electrical system grounding is examined as well as the requirements for grounding and bonding conductors.
- The DC circuits course covers the basic properties of direct current (DC) circuits. Students learn about the key electrical components of these circuits, as well as important electrical concepts, like voltage, current, resistance, energy, power, and electromagnetism.
- In the AC circuits course, students are exposed to alternating current (AC) circuits. They study the applications of Ohm's Law to AC circuits, as well as AC circuit troubleshooting and transformer theory.
Due to the importance of hands-on experience in this field, fully online courses and training programs for electricians can be hard to find. More commonly, schools offer hybrid courses and programs, which combine online and in-person instruction and coursework. There are also relevant online associate's degree programs in the closely related topic of electronics engineering technology. Most states require licensure. Aspiring electricians must typically meet education and experience requirements and pass an exam in order to become licensed. Electrician tools are often required for online courses. These tools may be included with tuition or available for separate purchase.
Individuals who want to become certified electricians can enroll in online courses or electronics engineering technology programs that cover the fundamental scientific aspects of the field, as well as technical topics related specifically to electrical work.