Online Classes in Game Software Development
Below are descriptions of some commonly offered online classes in game software development.
- Game Design and Development Class: This course introduces students to game genres and the gaming industry. Students analyze popular games on the market and study story development, programming and visual art production.
- Programming Class: A programming course focuses on the fundamentals of programming languages. Students learn about the functions, control structures and expressions in programming. An emphasis may be placed on pointers, recursion and linked lists.
- Animation Class: Students are introduced to 2D and 3D animation and image generation. Topics in this course cover user interface, primitive objects, retouching, image manipulation, filters, layers and texture creation. Opportunities are available to learn about human form and its artistic depiction, animation software programs and character design.
- Software Engineering Class: In this course, students are educated in the development of software applications for games. Students learn how to create applications for gaming consoles and portable devices, such as cell phones and iPods. The possibilities and limitations for these devices vary, and students need to understand how to operate within these constraints while continuing to advance the technology in this area.
- Artificial Intelligence Class: Candidates in this course study the principles and techniques involved in artificial intelligence for games. They learn to create different algorithms for movement, which allow characters and objects to run, chase, evade, jump and attack. Additional topics include fuzzy logic, minimax, finite state machines and rule-based artificial intelligence.
- Interactive Storytelling Class: Students in this course will learn the fundamentals of good storytelling, with emphasis on multi-plot storylines along with character development and realization. The course will teach students how to create an interactive story using decision trees and will stress effective script writing to draw audiences into the world of the game.
- Graphics and Layout for Print Class: In this course, students will focus on graphic design concepts to enhance their visual communication skills. Topics to be discussed include balance, symmetry, color, texture and shape.
- Game Scripting Class: This course will teach students how to script for different game engines. Focal points include concepts such as variables, classes, events and loops.
Online game software development classes can be found in game programming, video game art and game design programs. Enrollees study interactive software products and learn industry-standard techniques for graphics and sound in order to make games come to life. Graduates of bachelor's and master's degree level programs are prepared for careers as application developers, game designers, game testers and game software developers. Graduates of certificate level programs often go on to apply those credits toward a bachelor's or master's degree.
Plenty of options are out there for online game software development classes. Students can engage in these courses via certificate, bachelor's and master's degree programs. Course topics include storytelling, scripting, graphics, programming and animation.