Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Health Care Administration
- Health Information and Records Admin
- Health Information Technology
- Health Management and Clinical Administration
- Health Unit Coordinator
- Health Ward Supervisor
- Medical Administrative Assistant or Secretary
- Medical Claims Examiner
- Medical Facilities Management
- Medical Insurance Billing and Coding
- Medical Insurance Services
- Medical Office Computer Technologies
- Medical Office Management
- Medical Office Specialist
- Medical Receptionist
- Medical Staff Services
- Medical Transcriptionist
Online Courses in Health Information Management
Below are descriptions of common online health information management classes.
- Introduction to Medical Coding Course: A foundational course in coding teaches students the terms and techniques to code and classify diseases and related health care processes. Focus may be placed on the International Classification of Diseases, 9th Edition, Clinical Modification (ICD-9-CM). More recent updates to the classification system, such as the 10th Edition, may also be discussed.
- Principles of Health Information Management Course: This is an overview of health information management systems, including those for health care and registries. Students also learn about data elements, quality control, risk management, data retrieval and regulations.
- Database Techniques and Management Course: Students gain an understanding of the theory and methods of database design. They also learn about data integrity and maintaining security, as well as examining statistics and research derived from data.
- Health Information Systems Design Course: Students learn advanced skills in the design and maintenance of health information systems. The course requires students to plan, design and launch a data system and subsequently maintain and update it.
- Legal Aspects, Risk Management, and Security Course: While enrolled in this class, students examine ethical, legal and confidentiality principles underlying the field of information technology within the healthcare field. Lessons also include information security and risk management within clinical settings.
- Medical Terminology Course: In this course, students will learn about effective communication skills in a healthcare environment. The identification and definition of medical terms will be examined, including pronunciation, and how to use these terms in medical records and reports.
- Human Resources Management Course: In this course, students will study administrative policies. How to effectively build teamwork skills will also be addressed.
Online health information management courses are offered both fully online and in hybrid format through several postsecondary institutions, and they may be more advanced than courses offered in health information technology. Certificates, associate's, bachelor's and master's degrees are available. Introductory courses in these programs teach medical coding, computer skills, data processes and terminology. Graduate programs offer topics such as computer systems development, data network design and security strategies, all customized to fit the healthcare field. Graduates of health information technology programs may choose to work for hospitals, physician offices, insurance companies and more.
Students can study online health information management through numerous certificate programs, as well as associate's, bachelor's and master's programs. Topics include medical coding, medical terminology and database techniques.