Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Health Care Administration
- Health Information and Records Admin
- Health Information Technology
- Health Management and Clinical Administration
- Health Unit Coordinator
- Health Ward Supervisor
- Medical Administrative Assistant or Secretary
- Medical Claims Examiner
- Medical Facilities Management
- Medical Insurance Billing and Coding
- Medical Insurance Services
- Medical Office Computer Technologies
- Medical Office Management
- Medical Office Specialist
- Medical Receptionist
- Medical Staff Services
- Medical Transcriptionist
Online Courses in Health Services
Below are some of the most common courses that can be taken as part of a health services-related degree or certificate program.
- Ethics and Legal Issues Course: This course provides a thorough examination of ethical and legal issues in health services administration. Case studies, risk management and quality assurance are key topics for discussion. Students learn about the major legal issues encountered by those in the field of health care. The course aims to equip students with a comprehensive understanding of the health services provider's role in maintaining an effective standard of care.
- Health Services Planning and Evaluation Course: In this course, which is generally offered as part of undergraduate degree programs, students learn to analyze and design health care programs and models by utilizing research data, planning strategies and model development techniques. Students enrolled in this class gain a historical background to health care systems and develop their own health care model.
- Human Pathology Course: Students receive a comprehensive overview of human diseases and diagnostic methods. Diseases are analyzed at a cellular level, major organ systems are reviewed and diagnostic tools are discussed. This course may contain a lab component.
- Pharmacology Course: This course focuses on the analysis of drugs and their effects on the human body through the application of biophysics, biochemistry and physiology. Various drug classes and specific agents are studied. The course is composed of lecture and discussion.
- Public Health Toxicology Course: Environmental toxicology and prevention are topics of study in this course. Students learn how toxic chemicals are distributed and spread within the human body and populations. Case studies are used to demonstrate causes and effects of toxins.
- Clinical Human Brain Course: Students discuss human brain function, diseases and anatomy in this course. Case and animal studies are used to reveal how the brain works. Neurotransmitters and their role in altering brain function through the effects of drugs are discussed.
- Health Information Systems in Resource-Poor Settings Course: Students learn how to utilize information systems for the improvement of health care of patients from poor settings in developing countries. The emphasis is on how to improve the health infrastructure and collaborate between health care institutions to develop better health information systems for those who live in poverty stricken environments.
- Non-Profits and Health Care Course: This course will focus on non-profit advocacy in health care. Major topics include current trends in the industry, non-profit market evaluations and areas of health where non-profits might do their work.
- Financial Management in Health Care Course: In this course, students will learn about the fundamental aspects of financial theory. Accounting in the health care industry will be emphasized.
Online courses in health services are found in various bachelor's degree programs, including health care administration, health services management and mental health services. There are also continuing medical education (CME) courses offered online for physicians and other health service professionals. Due to the range of education levels and broad spectrum of specializations that fall within this field, subjects and levels of courses are widely varied. Students may need access to Adobe Acrobat Reader, Microsoft Word and Excel. Some schools may utilize specialized teaching software.
Students can study online health services courses through bachelor's degree programs in related fields. Topics include non-profit agencies, financial management and ethics and legal issues.