Online Health and Nutrition Courses
The following are course descriptions for some commonly offered online health and nutrition courses.
- The Science of Human Food and Nutrition Course: This course focuses on the biological and chemical components of the foods we eat and the role of individual nutrients in maintaining health. It also covers digestion and metabolic function and considers how nutrition is affected by the way consumers plan meals, select, store and prepare their food.
- Toward a Healthier Community Course: This course focuses on the nutritional issues and needs of various segments of the population. Approaches to nutritional education, factors influencing food intake and cultural differences are also considered. Additional topics include food trends, culinary history and nutrition throughout the lifespan.
- Nutritional Evaluation, Education and Intervention Course: Students learn how to apply various methods to evaluate specific nutritional components in this course. Nutritional therapy and practices for promoting healthy eating in various groups and settings are also covered.
- Food and Management Course: This course covers issues relevant to foodservice management. Topics include standards of safety and sanitation, purchasing, storage, distribution, nutritional concepts and the management of operations and personnel.
- Food on a Global Level Course: This course takes on food and nutrition on a more global scale by looking at topics such as geography, culture, religion and tradition. Also considered are factors influencing the quantity and quality of food, such as availability of fertile land and livestock, changes in the environment, fair trade and industrialization.
- Nutrition and Metabolism Course: This course focuses on the way the body metabolizes different essential food groups and how this affects human health. Students will study the biochemistry involved in human metabolism, and discover how our metabolic process influences health and disease.
- Current Issues in Nutrition Course: This course will address scientific evidence that is used for combating current controversies with regard to nutrition. Topics include the evaluation and research necessary to boost awareness.
- Holistic Health Consulting and Business Skills Course: In this course, students will learn about regulations, marketing and other facets of starting their own business in health and nutrition. Additional topics include ethics and professionalism, state laws and record-keeping.
Bachelor's degree programs in dietetics or nutritional science, which are available online, can prepare individuals for an entry-level career in public health, foodservice management or research. A bachelor's program can also lay the foundation for pursuing a graduate degree in the field or another life science, entry into medical school or licensure as a registered dietitian.
Associate's degree programs that prepare students for jobs as dietetic technicians are also available online. Additionally, some schools offer online bachelor's and master's programs in nutrition for those wanting to expand their knowledge of the field even further. Undergraduate and graduate certificate programs also exist in distance-learning formats.
Students can pursue online health and nutrition courses via certificate programs in addition to associate's, bachelor's and master's degree programs in fields like dietetics, nutrition and nutritional science. Topics for coursework include consulting, the science of food and the body's metabolism.