Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Acupuncture and Acupressure
- Alternative and Complementary Medicine
- Homeopathic Medicine
- Movement Therapies
- Naturopathic Medicine
- Polarity Therapy
- Traditional Eastern Medicine and Herbology
- Yoga Therapy and Instructor
Online Courses in Herbology
The following entry-level herbology courses can often be found online through various colleges and for-profit schools.
- Herbology Course: Students gain an overview of herbology and the way in which it is used as part of an alternative healthcare regimen. They may explore the history behind the use of herbs in healing. They will usually study how certain types of herbal therapies affect and improve different systems in the human body, as well as learn how to prepare home remedies for use in first aid and in treating illness. Students can also learn about cooking with various herbs to improve nutrition and overall health. A beginning course may include learning how to identify and grow certain herbs, as well as go over their various properties and how they are used. These can include edible flowers and common herbs, such as dandelion, sage, chamomile, lavender and horehound. Potential practitioners may gain some of the knowledge needed to apply for membership in the American Herbalists Guild. The professional organization is the only one of its kind in the United States.
- Materia Medica 1: Students enrolled in this course learn about the most common herbal remedies currently used in the U.S. This course also teaches students the skills needed to conduct research on all types of herbs that are used for medicinal purposes.
- Anatomy & Physiology Course: In this course, students will learn about the nervous system in addition to the skeletal and muscular systems. Topics include medical terminology, how a healthy body functions and holistic approaches to maintaining health.
- Holistic Pathophysiology Course: This course will teach students about the biochemical processes of diseases and various imbalances. Additional topics include cell changes, how to address a client's health goals and holistic therapies.
- Holistic Health Consulting and Business Skills Online Course: In this course, students will focus on what it takes to start their own holistic health practice. Various topics to be discussed include ethics, consulting rooms and a client bill of rights.
Herbology involves the use of herbs to maintain good health and treat illness. Those wishing to pursue online instruction in this alternative medical field will most commonly find introductory courses available through community colleges and schools specializing in alternative medicine. These courses may be offered as part of online diploma, certificate, associate's, master's or graduate certificate programs, though very few schools offer the degree programs. Students who want to take a class from a specialty school may want to choose a school that has been accredited by an agency approved by the U.S. Department of Education or the Council for Higher Education Accreditation. Such an agency includes the Distance Education Training Council, which is recognized by both.
Online options become less common at the advanced level, and those who want to increase their knowledge beyond the fundamentals may have to continue their education with on-campus study.
Online herbology classes are available through diplomas, certificates, associate's, master's or graduate certificate programs. Coursework includes topics like pathophysiology, holistic health consulting and basic herbology.