Online Hospital Admin Courses
We'll discuss some of the more commonly found online courses in hospital administration.
- Students in an American Healthcare System course are presented with a history of the American healthcare system, including its development and growth, current status, and future potential. Students learn about the diverse subsystems, roles of the allied health system and the contributions they've made economically and politically to society.
- A Healthcare Financial Management course emphasizes the basics of healthcare financing. Students learn financial accounting terminology and become familiar with financial reports, including budgets, balance sheets, income statements, and cost reports.
- Students desiring an introduction to the legal system as it applies to healthcare administration can take a Healthcare Administration Law course. Topics include healthcare providers and liability, public liability and accountability, business and administrative law for heathcare administrations, and the legal rights of patients.
- In a Health Insurance Reimbursements course, students learn about the different types of healthcare structures and how to recognize care plans that are effectively managed. Students become skillful at recognizing the characteristics of managed care and comparing each structure. Topics also include health insurance, third-party insurance, and Medicare.
- The focus of a Health Systems Economics and Finance course is on different financial aspects of the healthcare system, including the accounting process, different funding sources, financial management, and the effect of third-party payers. Students explore the economic and financial management of the healthcare system as a whole.
- Students enrolled in a Business Communication Skills course learn basic principles of communicating in written and electronic formats appropriate for various healthcare workplace settings.
- In a Healthcare Risk Management and Quality Improvement course, aspiring hospital administrators learn how to minimize safety risks in healthcare facilities. They also study ways to increase work productivity and improve patient outcomes.
- Lastly, a Healthcare Research course is for students interested in examining the methodologies and analytical techniques used for public health and epidemiology research. They also gain an appreciation for the importance of using data when making administrative decisions in the healthcare industry.
Hospital administration courses and training programs are offered at many colleges and universities as part of their distance learning or online divisions. Coursework teaches students appropriate leadership skills, standards of professional conduct, and effective healthcare management skills. These courses are generally offered as part of degree programs at the bachelor's or graduate level, such as the Bachelor of Science in Health Promotion, Master of Science in Health Administration, or Executive Master of Healthcare Administration. Programs are geared toward those who wish to work as hospital or nursing home administrators, consultants, or clinical managers in a variety of healthcare facilities or government agencies. Depending on the course or program, students may be required to have experience in a healthcare organization.
Individuals who want to pursue administrative positions in hospitals and other healthcare facilities can find both undergraduate- and graduate-level courses online that can help prepare them for their careers.