Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Information Systems Security
- Networking Management
- Systems Administration
- Webmaster and Multimedia Management
Online Courses in Internet Security
Below are some of the online options for Internet security courses that are commonly available.
- Fundamentals of Computer and Internet Security Course: This course introduces topics such as threat profile identification, password protection policies and hostile activity response. Students learn how to audit security protocols, investigate suspected breaches and recover lost or compromised data. The curriculum includes detailed information about malware, viruses, encryption and hashing. It also presents techniques to qualify, quantify and respond to potential security risks.
- Networks and Network Security Course: Students learn computer network design, implementation, maintenance and protection theories. They craft practical application policies and programs to audit, monitor and defend networks against intrusion, hacking and compromise. Lessons teach them how to evaluate network vulnerability by analyzing traffic, running penetration tests, simulating black hat attacks and scanning ports.
- Computer Cryptography Course: This course presents basic computer encryption concepts and shows their practical applications. It also identifies specific techniques such as public-key algorithm and asymmetric encryption, zero-knowledge proofs, random number generation, multiple party secure computation and modern factorization attacks.
- Conducting the Digital Forensics Investigation Course: This course shows how professionals use digital forensics to secure systems after security breaches, recover lost data, collect evidence and preserve chain of custody. It demonstrates techniques to determine scope of investigation, document procedures, write reports, present conclusions to clients and testify as an expert witness. The curriculum also teaches applicable legal regulations, privacy issues and ethical considerations.
- Capstone Project Course: Several online internet security programs culminate in a capstone project, which incorporates information learned in previous coursework into a single project. A capstone project encourages students to recognize the connections between their general courses and courses in their major. Students may work in teams to demonstrate their new expertise in internet security.
- Secure Mobile Networks Course: In this course, students will learn about wireless networks and how they're protected. Other topics include wireless LANs and MACs, emerging technologies and wireless routing.
- Cloud Computing Course: This course will examine cloud computing networks with regard to their systems architecture and design principles. Debugging, disaster recovery and commercial applications in cloud computing will also be covered.
In these courses, students learn about basic computer network concepts and how to develop advanced security protocols and demonstrate effective hardware and software operation. Online Internet security classes usually satisfy some requirements for 2- and 4-year degrees, like an associate or bachelor's degree in information security or a Master of Science in areas like computer information systems, cyber security or information systems and technology. Graduate certificates and standalone courses in cyber security, forensic computer examination and information security also exist.
Online internet security courses are available through individual classes, graduate certificate programs, and associate's, bachelor's and master's degree programs. Students will study topics such as mobile network security, computer cryptography and digital forensics.