Online Courses for Legal Nurses
Summaries of some commonly offered online legal nurse courses are provided here.
- Legal Theory Course: Students in this course explore tort law, standards of care and liability issues, access to medical records, discovery and disclosure, informed consent and treatment decisions.
- The Profession of Legal Nurse Consulting Course: The history and evolution of legal nurse consulting are studied. Entry into the specialized practice of legal nurse consulting and other career avenues is discussed. Professionalism, standards of practice and professional performance are also covered.
- Legal Research for Legal Nurse Consultants Course: The legal nurse consultant who finishes this course will understand the role of law statutes, regulations, case law, primary authority and secondary authority. This course is a comprehensive module of instruction on how to conduct legal research in a traditional law library and utilize online legal research databases. Other topics covered include statutes, administrative law, rules of court, card and computer catalogs, case digests, annotations and legal periodical literature.
- Personal Injury and Medical Malpractice Course: This course is designed to educate the legal nurse consultant in the general laws of torts, specifically the areas of personal injury and medical malpractice. The student is educated with regard to the process by which negligence cases are developed in preparation for settlement or trial. Subjects covered include evaluating liability, injuries and damages.
- Report Writing Course: In this course, students learn how to write medical reports for legal use and study cases from real legal archives. The course will cover how to provide expert opinions for cases, as well as analyzing damages suffered and how to prep a settlement.
- Trial Preparation Course: In this course, legal nurses prepare for jobs where they will be required to provide expert testimony and/or demonstrative evidence in court. This includes an overview of the elements of the discovery phase, as well as the difference between malpractice and criminal cases.
- Business of Legal Nursing Course: For legal nurses who offer independent consulting services, this course covers the basics of running a successful business. Students learn how to market their services and track billable hours.
Legal nurse consultants work with lawyers in medical cases by interviewing patients, organizing health information records, determining and calculating damages and costs, locating evidence and educating lawyers about medical issues. Applicants to distance learning programs in legal nursing must be current registered nurses with a minimum of an associate's degree in nursing. Usually, these programs result in a certificate or diploma. Graduates typically are prepared to test for certification through the American Legal Nurse Consultant Certification Board.
Nurses who want to get online training to act as legal consultants can get relevant law-related training through online certificate programs.