Online Courses for Aspiring Legal Secretaries
The following descriptions are for commonly offered online legal secretary courses.
- Introduction to Becoming a Legal Secretary Course: This course in legal secretary fundamentals introduces students to the skills and knowledge needed for jobs in legal studies and law firms. The course presents an overview of various legal-related topics, such as ethics, litigation, documentation, court arrangements and vocabulary.
- Principles of Legal Research Course: This course establishes document preparation and presentation techniques. Students learn how to conduct various types of legal research, such as state, federal, executive, case, regulatory, constitutional and statutory.
- Introduction to Legal Technology Course: Legal secretaries must be well versed in the various technologies used in a law firm, which are introduced in this course. These technologies may include software applications, e-mail, case management and billing tools, along with presentation tools.
- Foundations of Legal Writing Course: Students learn how to draft letters, construct business documents and create proper court documents. In addition, students have the opportunity to hone their skills in English.
- Keyboarding Speed Building Course: In this course, students learn how to improve their keyboarding speed and accuracy on a personal computer (PC) through intensive work.
- Legal Terminology and Transcription Course: In this course, students are introduced to key legal terms, phrases abbreviations and symbols. They also learn to transcribe and format legal correspondence documents.
- Law Office Management Course: This course introduces students to managerial procedures within law offices, and it helps them build the skills they need to complete administrative tasks in ways that save resources.
Online coursework for legal secretaries trains students to function as administrative assistants, completing paperwork and handling the daily operations associated with a law firm. Individuals may enroll in an online certificate program for legal secretaries, with courses in legal terminology, filing procedures, accounting, billing and records management. While some certificate programs consist of just one course, other schools break up their programs into a series of individual courses. A certificate can be the first step toward working as a legal secretary in law offices assisting lawyers and paralegals.
Individuals who want to become legal secretaries can get the training they need through single- or multi-course online programs that provide education in basic legal concepts and office skills.